Broken Crybaby: HELP!!

AndyLoud

• Members

ah ha. those pics are great thanks. seems that crybabys had "empty spaces" on the PCB to confuse people like me!

any idea about why it might not be "wah-ing"?

i've definitely seen something about this when i was looking for DIY instructions. one of the parts is either malfunctioning or not wired correctly.

try google, see what you can find

• Members

If it only changes volume, it is indeed probably the inductor or the 4.7uF electrolyte capacitor (the big "can" slightly to the right of the input jack in your pic) that has gone bad.

Also, while it isn't entirely visible in the pic, the pot doesn't look original to me. So if that has been changed, you need to go over the connections on it to verify that everything is ok. Also, you may want to replace the pot for a proper wah pot (this one looks like a Bourns or similar, which is great for Colorsound wahs but not so hot for a Crybaby).

/Andreas

• Members

I can solder, which i suppose is good news.

i measured the resistance over the 33kohm resistor thats in parallel with the inductor, and got 59.3 ohm. am i right in thinking that that is a resonable result since a high reading would mean the inductor had gone bad.

correct me if i'm wrong, my adv. higher physics project on capacitors and inductors was a while ago.

how about testing caps? is it a visual check for leaking electrolyte and such? what can be done with a multimeter?

also, heres a slightly better pic of the pot if that helps.

DSC00017.jpg

• Members

ah, the rack gear - i ve got a new one on the way. for free because dunlop were "saddened to hear i was less than satisfied"

Also, the pot is a dunlop made part. "DUNLOP MFG.INC 100K MEXICO"

I'm going to replace the 4.7uF electrolyte capacitor just now. shall let you know how it goes.

• Members

Yes, if the inductor was broken I'd expect to see a higher resistance over the 33K resistor. So I guess it's time to take a good look at the capacitor. Unless your multimeter has a capacitance mode, it's not really possible to measure if it's ok or not. But luckily, capacitors are cheap, so I'd simply replace it anyway.

The pot is definitely a Bourns (or similar, used in Colorsound and some Roger Mayer wahs), probably a 100K lin, which isn't ideal for a Crybaby. I'd replace the pot for a proper wah pot (100K special "wah" taper). Sadly, those are not cheap and can not be found everywhere... in the US, try www.smallbearelec.com, and in Europe, www.banzaieffects.com is the place to be. Dunlop can probably hook you up with a replacement Hot Potz III as well.

/Andreas

• Members

how about testing caps? is it a visual check for leaking electrolyte and such? what can be done with a multimeter?

Visibly leaking electrolytics are pretty uncommon, and almost unheard of in a circuit with voltages this low. When electrolytic capacitors age the electrolyte will often dry up, which gradually increases the capacitance and effective series resistance of the cap. You can measure the capacitance with a C meter, but you need to lift one leg out of the circuit to get a reliable measurement. Effective series resistance requires either a specialized ESR meter or a capacitor analyzer.

I think it's more likely you're looking for a bad solder joint or connection.

• Members

i've got spare 4.7uF caps, so i'll drop one in and see if that makes a difference. failing that, i'll need to check all the solder joints. i had a quick look and they all seemed fine, but i'll get the meter out and re-check them all.

Edit: dropped in a new 4.7uF cap, and it works! hurrah!

all that remains is to try and get a new pot and wait for the rack gear to be delivered (should be here tomorrow)

many thanks to you all for your help with this. turns out to be the best

• Members

Measuring across the inductors resistor is useless unless you lift the end coming from the inductor. You will ultimately be reading through the inductor also. I agree it could also be the 4.7 or the inductor but very unlikely. Check the input capacitor. It should read .01 or around there. Make sure you lift it out of the circuit before doing so. If that is toast it could be acting as a volume also. Good luck make sure you let us know what you found out. While your in there you may as well mod it also.:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Dont want to start another thread when this ones already here

Can anyone see any problems with replacing the 33kohm resistor in a gcb-95 with a DPDT toggle switch that switches in either a 68kohm or the stock 33kohm resistor? I cant think of any reason it wouldnt work, but can anyone see a potential problem?

• Members

DSC00026.jpg

Done. Its not pretty, but it seems to work. Any ideas what else I could be doing while i'm at it. i've got a couple more switches, and no idea what else can be done really.

while im here, the outside at the moment:

DSC00028.jpg

Needs more paint, so the sharpie writing will be covered up eventually.

• Members

Did you wire out one leg of the 4.7 uF cap to a mini-switch to make it a volume pedal when not engaged? Pic kinda looks like it, and it's a mod I just did to my Ver. C Crybaby.

Free parts from Dunlop sounds like a great deal. Tubesandmore.com has the loaded PC board for 18 bucks as well as three choices of inductors and misc. Crybaby parts.

• Members

the switch switches between a 33kohm resistor and a 68kohm resistor for the "vocal mod". and a ghetto power switch too. simply cutting the lead going to the battery when its in off.

might try the volume pedal mod too.

Archived