FX revelation for the day

• Members

So there is a song that I've written to celebrate a reunion show that I'm doing with my old band (1985 - 1996) back home. I haven't recorded it yet because I've been mulling over several problems, mostly 1) which key works best for my vocals, and 2) which sound to use for the guitar.

After playing around with multiple variations of delays, modulations, filters, etc., I tried something today that was a revelation to me. I plugged straight into my Big Muff Pi, then my EHX 10 Band Graphic EQ, and then into my Fender Vibroverb. Voila! It was so simple, and it nailed it. As I was singing and playing, I felt like I was about to go through the ceiling. Very liberating.

God bless the Big Muff! The classics always help me out of this:

Labyrinth4.jpg

• Members

I know that feeling...however great I think new dirt pedals are that I get, when I plug my big muff in it always makes me go, wow this sounds great!

There are a few pedals that make me feel like that most every time. The Small Stone, the Deluxe Memory Man, and even The Worm. They just can't fail me.

• Members

oh for sure. But will it work well on my amp?

yamaha.yta-45.jpg

:)

Is that solid state? I used to run my Big Muff into a Marshall SS and it sounded {censored}ing great, gave the tone some real depth.

• Members

Is that solid state? I used to run my Big Muff into a Marshall SS and it sounded {censored}ing great, gave the tone some real depth.

Agreed. In my experience, SS amps are great for Si fuzz. It will sound different than a tube amp, obviously, but it still sounds good. Just watch that high end and you should be alright with a muff into that Yamaha.

• Members

Agreed. In my experience, SS amps are great for Si fuzz. It will sound different than a tube amp, obviously, but it still sounds good. Just watch that high end and you should be alright with a muff into that Yamaha.

yup, you won't believe how much bass will be coming out of that little SS with a big muff......first time I plugged mine in I was like 'holy crap!!'

• Members

I've never tried that amp, but I'm a fan of Yamaha music instruments as a general rule. I have a Yamaha bass guitar, drumkit, and saxophone, and all 3 are keepers for life. I'll bet muff will rock through it.

Backed, though my experience is with a Yammie acoustic, keyboard, and the MagicStomp.

From what I hear, Yamaha SS amps are where it's at.

• Members

The BMP will stay with me forever. I just got the new Silver Kiss Trinity and that thing pushes the Big Muff so well, giving it a boost of treble and mids and give it a nice snarl. Best cascading pedals I have ever heard. Crank up the OD gain and the tone and sustain on the BMP and you get some Devi Ever sounds.

I love Muff.

• Members

I love running any fuzz into SS. I even use two in my jam rig. Tubes sound great but when you throw in a Solid State thats getting pushed a tad too hard you get this thick as {censored} fuzz that sounds amazing. Its why I use both types at the same time, its a one of a kind sound.

• Members

Any more info on this reunion show you are playing ?

I don't want to say the name of the band. Not that it's some intrigue or anything, but some internet anonymity is always a good thing. Anyway, it isn't like anyone here will have ever heard of us. We only played in the Midwest circuit.

We're in the process of trying to set up a Friday night in October at this venue:

785010686_92c53d0743.jpg

There are at least a couple of guys in this forum who will know where that is ;)

Archived