Who else judges a pedal by how many are 2nd hand on Ebay?

rawk100

• Members

There's a couple of pedals I've been thinking of getting; a Blackstar overdrive and an EHX Holy Stain. These are new (ish) pedals yet I've noticed alot being sold second hand on ebay which seems to suggest they're not that good (i.e. people have bought them but don't like 'em). Am I the only one who thinks like this?........:facepalm:

• Members

Not really, because the pedal market is filled with guys like Crxsh who buy stuff to try and then flip. In the case of something like the Holy Stain, which is low-priced for the number of effects it offers, it's not surprising that alot of people are going to try it out just for the heck of it.

• Members

If I never see them *anywhere* but used on eBay, it might give me pause. But, as we know from this forum and personal experience, many effects users are so fickle (and bad with money) that seeing them going used doesn't throw me off much. Plus, if there are a lot of them, that means they at least sold well initially, and there's usually something to that.

I mean, really, who doesn't love a stock DS-1? :poke:

• Members

I don't tend to buy stuff to try out and then sell on, but I know alot of people do that. If guess if you get a good deal on a new-ish 2nd hand pdeal on fle-bay you can probably sell it on without losing much money. Lets face it, you can probably buy any 2nd hand Boss pedal on E-bay , try it out, and then sell it on without much of a loss. And its fun.......

I can understand someone trying the Holy Stain out cause they're quite cheap but the Blackstar stuff is quite expensive.......

• Members

I don't think that most heavy ebay sellers like that have the same tonal taste as me...I'd be more concerned with, and frankly listen to, people I know have similar tone or an intelligent opinion on it. Like everyone here on the forum. Ask us!

• Members

I bought and sold a Blackstone. I bought it thinking it would end my od search. It did not work with my Trace Elliot Speedtwin or my Fender Concert. I sold it. The eq ing on that pedal goes flat to more v shaped as you dial the "knob" it is not realy a knob you have to use your fingernail. I am just not into the scooped mids medal thing anymore.

The 2nd version is supposedly voiced more in the classic rock vein.

I made about 10 or 15 bucks on the flip, but could have easily lost 20 to 30.

• Members

When I first started scavenging eBay for EHX, it seemed like every other pedal was a used Worm. People couldn't get rid of them, and when they did, they'd sell for under $50. Now they are less and less frequent, and the price has gone higher than it was when you could buy them new a few years ago.

Moral of the story is that consumer tastes of the majority are fickle, and rarely reflect quality.

Archived