A Question...

pepperduck

• Members

Am I the only one who doesn't like stacking dirt pedals?

I've never really liked the sound I get from doing it. I've had a lot of dirt pedals and have tried them all in many different combinations as well as signal paths and it never really does it for me.

• Members

i like it sometimes if i want a rather glassy tone. i usually blend my Od-3 with my MKII. Gives you the bassy side of the OD-3 and the rather glassy shine from the MKII.

i find myself backing of the tone knob on my guitar most of the time since it gets a bit to trebley.

• Members

I prefer to boost a dirt pedal with a boost rather than another dirt pedal. But if you have a dirt pedal set up to essentially act as a boost, then that can work. In general, though, two dirts on at the same time equal mud (for me, anyway. But then I really only use fuzz, so maybe that's a fuzz problem).

• Members

It depends on the pedals and the amount of gain. My Barber LTD is always on and it stacks great with both my Rat and Top Fuel.

I have noticed that I don't like stacking fuzz with OD or distortion, hence the lack of fuzz on my board.

• Members

Generally, if I'm going for an optimum tone, I'll try to get one dirt pedal to do it for me. But practically, especially in a live setting, I often find myself in a "MORE!" state of mind and have some satisfying stacking experiences. It does help if the pedals you're stacking are fairly conservative in their gain structure and well-behaved in the way they handle their input and output impedances.

It does help if the pedals you're stacking are fairly conservative in their gain structure and well-behaved in the way they handle their input and output impedances.

I completely agree.

If they are high gain pedals, or are set for a lot of dirt, things do tend to get muddy or out of control (not that that's always a bad thing ;) ) than if they're set more conservatively.

I do not do it all the time, but I do stack OD, boost and / or fuzz pedals fairly often in search of more / different tonal and dirt options.

• Members

I usually use my dirt pretty cranked so it just turns to mud if I stack them, the only pedal I stack is the punkifier, I basically take the drive section on that right down so I can use the 'punk' effect with any other dirt pedal.

• Members

Most dirt pedals like being on a diet. I look for certain dirt combinations not for additional gain but unique modulations. The big daddy of stacking is the ZVEX Machine. Play it into any dirt pedal to get frequencies moving. One combination that will increase attack/sustain is playing high gain into lower gain. Staying with the diet means avoiding many unusable heavy sounds.

• Members

I loved the Bad Monkey into Little Big Muff combo

Yeah; something with a bright attack--a compressor works great in front of Muffs too! Though admittedly you'll need especially quiet versions of both pedals to pull it off.

Archived