mim tele vs stndrd tele

bhsbhswarp

• Members

I think the best advice would be to shop around and play as many Teles you can find.....both MIM and American. The Mexican ones are not bad at all if you can find the right one. The consistency is not the best and there are some real howlers about.
I myself have a MIM Classic '50's Tele that I bought in 2001 and it's been my main guitar since I bought it.

• Members

A friend that used to work for the Fender Custom Shop told me that they use the exact same wood for MIM's and MIA's, the difference is in the quality of the electronics, type of paint used for the finish, and overall quality control.

• Members

A friend that used to work for the Fender Custom Shop told me that they use the exact same wood for MIM's and MIA's, the difference is in the quality of the electronics, type of paint used for the finish, and overall quality control.

this is good to know.now i guess its time to play a few guitars to find the"one" for me.i'm really looking for a maple neck one:love:

• Members
WWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

P7180053.jpg

Classic Player...I played this the other day in the music shop.

i liked it, but couldn't see myself liking the glossy as {censored} neck and fretboard.
I don't much like playing in music shops so my hands were sweaty and they stuck...eeeewww. But it was nice...i liked the graphics on the headstock. The seem good value.

• Members

One BIG difference is the necks. They aren't all the same. WHile the body made be the same wood, the quality, feel of the neck, the type of frets used (especially in the new '08s) is where and why the USA models cost more.

The MIMs make some great models, but the USA ones are better for good reason. I bought a used Highway 1 Tele, and it's a great player, the neck is just awesome. The Baja is a really good MIM tele, almost custom shop too. I played one the other day - weight almost the same as a LP too!

The regular MIM standard models are a bit budget feeling, but they aren't bad. The CLassic line really starts to take it up a notch, with better necks for one thing. Shop around, and play a few. I've often found though, you just don't know for sure which is the right one, til you take it home, and play it for a couple of weeks. Then you'll know. But the more research you do the better.

• Members

One BIG difference is the necks. They aren't all the same. WHile the body made be the same wood, the quality, feel of the neck, the type of frets used (especially in the new '08s) is where and why the USA models cost more.

The MIMs make some great models, but the USA ones are better for good reason. I bought a used Highway 1 Tele, and it's a great player, the neck is just awesome. The Baja is a really good MIM tele, almost custom shop too. I played one the other day - weight almost the same as a LP too!

The regular MIM standard models are a bit budget feeling, but they aren't bad. The CLassic line really starts to take it up a notch, with better necks for one thing. Shop around, and play a few. I've often found though, you just don't know for sure which is the right one, til you take it home, and play it for a couple of weeks. Then you'll know. But the more research you do the better.

It's the same wood, but construction methods may be, and probably are, different...

• Members

It's the same wood, but construction methods may be, and probably are, different...

Well sure, maple is maple I guess. But the construction methods are different, and that makes a big difference. If you ever see the ads for Eric Johnson's strat, his quote is spot on...something to the effect of "the littlest changes make a huge difference" probably why his strat is $1600 and a MIM is not. Those little things are sometimes labor intensive = cost more.

• Members

Well sure, maple is maple I guess. But the construction methods are different, and that makes a big difference. If you ever see the ads for Eric Johnson's strat, his quote is spot on...something to the effect of "the littlest changes make a huge difference" probably why his strat is $1600 and a MIM is not. Those little things are sometimes labor intensive = cost more.

Umm... duh....

• Members

I bought one new for $400 at a local music store. It came with a gig bag and a few minor accessories.

It's made in Korea. Don't let that scare you though. That only means you might have to set it up a little better, but make sure you inspect it thouroughly if you're gonna buy it.

PROS:

birdseye maple neck with satin finish
string through body
ashtray bridge with 3 bronze saddles
seymour duncan pups that sound great
oversize strap buttons
22 medium-jumbo frets
abalone inlays
very light ash body with a beautiful finish
nice chrome hardware

CONS:

decent at best tuners, but they hold tune pretty well
decent at best pots and switch, but they don't scratch at all
plastic nut
terrible factory setup

I had to tweak the factory setup to eliminate the fret buzz and set the action a little better, but it didn't take too long. Unfortunately, the shop where I bought it didn't have a tech that was capable (no, I didn't buy it at GC:lol:) I plan to upgrade the nut, pots, switch and tuners, and possibly reverse the control plate for better access to the vol knob. After a few minor upgrades, I don't see how this wont sound and play as good, or better than an american standard. It sounds pretty f-ing good right now. I highly suggest that you check out this little sleeper.

Here's a link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Lite-Ash-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511339

Check it out. You wont regret it.:thu:

• Members

The trick to finding a decent MIM, or any guitar really, guitar is to play them in a quiet room acoustically, which can be difficult at a Guitar Center... If it sounds good and sustains well without an amp, everything else on the guitar can be changed...

• Members
The trick to finding a decent MIM, or any guitar really, guitar is to play them in a quiet room acoustically, which can be difficult at a Guitar Center... If it sounds good and sustains well without an amp, everything else on the guitar can be changed...

Exactly. I tried nearly 40 before I found a winner. Fender makes some great MIA's as well as some MIA dogs. A little tougher finding great MIM's but they're definitely out there.

Archived