Where Is MXR's Carbon Copy made?

kkyle

• Members

Anybody know? It has a CE on the side, but they've done a good job of not putting anything but Dunlop and manufacturer in Cali.

Great pedal BTW, small, subtle, true hard bypass, nice mod feature, to my ears absolutely no tone difference when on or off....for $150. I had a DD6 and it had more features, but seemed to kill bass.

• Members

is "true hard bypass" just a way of saying "buffered"?

Actually it's "true hardWIRE bypass". It's not buffered, when you unplug the power, the sound still comes through unless it's switched on.

• Members

I could later, I'm telling you it's true bypass, cutting the power doesn't affect the signal.

To my ears, there's not a noticeable signal change on switching it on, other than the effect. I really like it, the mod sweetens the sound.

• Members

I could later, I'm telling you it's true bypass, cutting the power doesn't affect the signal.

To my ears, there's not a noticeable signal change on switching it on, other than the effect. I really like it, the mod sweetens the sound.

That doesn't mean anything, though.

• Members

Weve been over this a thousand times. Just because a signal passes through it without power that doesnt mean its true bypass. The switch determines if its true bypass or not.

Hardwire bypass is not true bypass. End.

Thamk you.

I'll just get Andreas' page up, that will round this up.

• Members

Weve been over this a thousand times. Just because a signal passes through it without power that doesnt mean its true bypass.
The switch determines if its true bypass or not.

The first part is correct. The second part (in bold) is not.

You can have a pedal using a 3PDT switch (typically associated with true-bypass) but it isn't really, or you could have a boss-style push-button pedal be true-bypass as long as it's switching a 3PDT latching relay somewhere on the PCB.

I see threads like this every week here. People argung over what's true bypass and what isn't, but in reality few really know for sure and are just spreading misconceptions.

The only sure way of seeing if a pedal is true-bypass is be either contacting the builder, or by opening it up, tracing the PCB traces and fully *understanding* whats needed for a TB operation.

• Members

The only sure way of seeing if a pedal is true-bypass is be either contacting the builder, or by opening it up, tracing the PCB traces and fully *understanding* whats needed for a TB operation.

My bad. Thats what i meant to actually say. i tried to make it sort and sweet..doesnt work for everything i guess.:thu:

• Members

Still, if it has a 3PDT you can be fairly certain since it would be plain stupidity to buy an expensive 3PDT switch that has to be handwired if you aren't going to use all the poles. Except for stereo effects.

I would think the same thing, it's a completelly rational thought! However I usually open up every pedal I come across (if I can) for curiosity's sake. I was surprised how many used 3PDT switches but only used four or even TWO of the nine lugs!

When a builder manufacters a thousand of 10 different kidns of pedals, some of them true-bypass and some of them not, it often makes more sense to buy 10,000 of the same switch (thus getting them individually cheaper) than getting two or three different kinds of switches in lesser quantities. Yes it's wasteful, but it often makes business sense when ordering parts in large quantities.

Archived