This just in: I dont like overdrive pedals

3red

• Members

too compressed and fake sounding. it's either dull or pinchy. bleh, i only like the real thing.

What do you mean the "real thing"?

Overdrive is a process- pedal "overdrive" is the same process as amp "overdrive"

DO you just mean that you like amp overdrive to pedal overdrive? :cop:

• Members

I don't like the sound of an OD pedal into a completely clean amp as a substitute for an overdriven amp. However, I like using overdrive with a cooking amp, or in combination with fuzz and stuff. My OD pedal of choice is the T-Rex M

• Members

I dunno, maybe it's my amp (Traynor YCV50) which isn't bad. But I compared the overdrive tone from it naturally on the lead channel, to a pedal, an Emma Reeza with the gain at about 10 oclock. The Reeza just sounded better, more natural actually than the amp's natural overdrive. Maybe because I didn't have the master volume turned up too loud, but who cares. I can't often turn it up very loud at home. So especially because of that, a pedal can trump again.

• Members

too compressed and fake sounding. it's either dull or pinchy. bleh, i only like the real thing.

Please tell us which overdrives you tried in coming to this conclusion, and please tell me you didn't just try whatever POS Danelectro overdrives they had at your local Guitar Centre.

• Members

I sometimes prefer pedal OD because it has less headroom and has a bit more solid feel to it. Amp OD wins tonewise, but you run an octave effect into it and the headroom kind of engulfs it and goes a bit flabby. A dirt pedal does wonders to an octaved signal.

• Members
I don't like the sound of an OD pedal into a completely clean amp as a substitute for an overdriven amp. However, I like using overdrive with a cooking amp, or in combination with fuzz and stuff. My OD pedal of choice is the T-Rex M

• Members

I have to say that putting a nice OD pedal in front of a slightly/reasonably driven amp is just heaven.

I'm not a huge fan of using them as a substitute for Amp drive, but there are some pedals that do this quite well.

Each to their own.

Archived