TC G-Force Direct To Board?

rfield54

• Members

I'm curious if anyone has experience using the G-Force as a preamp straight to a PA / sans guitar amp? Does it shine in that capacity, or is it really designed to be used with a guitar amp? I'm using a Vox Tonelab for direct work, and wondering if the G-Force with a few pedals might be as good or better (I know it will be different). - Roy

• Members

Considering that it has no preamp section of its own, it would probably sound about the same as if you were to run your guitar direct with some mod/delay/reverb pedals in line... which generally sounds terrible.

• Members

Yeah you'd need a preamp to get the best results, but you can enable speaker filters at the output to take it straight to board so it's definitely possible.

I've never tried it though I'm afraid, so let me know how you get on! :thu:

• Members

They're apples and oranges. If you want a processor with in built amp models then the AxeFX is the way forward. The G-Force is designed as an effect processor only and so you've got to give it some sort of preamp tone-shaped signal to work with at least.

• Members

The only way I've heard of effects processors like the G-Force used direct to the mixing desk, is when a normal amp & speaker cabinet is set up, and then a microphone on that cab leads to the line-in of the effects units and then to the mixing desk.

That's what Mike Landau does with his big rack of effects while doing session recording.

• Members

You could try using a guitar DI box between the G-Force and the board. Something like a Whirlwind might do the job and is really cheap. Otherwise, a Damage Control Womanizer is a bit more expensive but I've heard some great reviews of it for this purpose.... plus it's a great distortion pedal.

• Members

I'm learning that the best way to get a good, fat lead sound running direct is with amp modeling...period.

Compared to using a dedicated effects processor which isn't designed to do it, there's no question. Modellers are great and I use them all the time, so it's just a case of selecting the right tool for the job.

• Members

All I do is direct recording as a hobby. Still learning the ins & outs, but yes amp modeling is important, even with a damage control womanizer. Use to do digital amp models but leaning towards Sansamp analog modeling after I bought the TRI-AC. Ordered the Character Series after that. Still waiting for them.

But a pre-amp with a direct out (or seperate direct box)> distortion/overdrive(demonizer/womanizer are preamps also)> amp modeling> to whatever> to soundboard. At least I think I got this right.

Archived