MXR Flanger reissue - any users?

Zoidberg

• Members

396836.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M117R-Flanger-Pedal?sku=151122

This is my huge pedal-GAS for the moment, any of you guys on here use one?

Or is there anyone who's tried it?

Is it one of the good pedal-reissues or one of the shit ones? ;)

And is it versatile? can it do both a The Police, Andy Summers-ish flange and the typical Van Halen, Unchained-sound?

Any input appreciated :thu:

• Members

Hey Zoidberg,

I've got one. It has the classic MXR flanger sound which is real thick & swirling. It easily nails the Andy Summers or Eddie van Halen "Unchained" sounds. The DC adapter is 18 volts so it uses up 2 DC outlets on my VHT Valvulator power supply. I had to make a custom made DC cable for it so I can get rid of the 18 volt adaptor. The older, original MXR flanger w/ AC cables are still around, but command a higher, used price on E-bay.

Guitar George

• Members

I've played both tho not side by-side , IIRC the vintage plug and play was a , bit warmer , yet that was years' ago , the re / I played at a friendlies place was just as impressive , esp. , on VH / Police garb , knowing full well Andy used a EXM.

*Mr Burns-voice*

Exceeellent!

I'm starting to get pretty sure that I'll try one out..

My SFL-1 has wonderful flange for cleans, but it lacks something with dirt. A bit thin and I don't like how it changes my tone.

I'm hoping to find that the MXR reissue will cover my needs both for clean and dirt tones. :)

• Members

I've got one as well. It's probably my favorite Flanger ever. It has a nice warm gooey flange tone and stacks pretty well with my Ibanez CS9.

One of the best things about it is you can disengage the filter sweep and manually set it... see video (it's mounted on a mic stand in front of the guitarist.)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

MXR does everything right. thats why i have their collection.

this, i highly disagree with. Had their dist + reissue, sounded horrible. Had their phase 90 reissue, nothing like the original. I'd actually go as far to say that most of the MXR reissues are crap.

• Members

this, i highly disagree with. Had their dist + reissue, sounded horrible. Had their phase 90 reissue, nothing like the original. I'd actually go as far to say that most of the MXR reissues are crap.

I'd agree on the Distortion +, but the Flanger is great.

I'm not into Phasers, but they have about 4 different Phase 90 reissues now, which one are you talking about?

MXR seems to be trying to improve lately, somewhere along the line I think they realized they can't sell crap pedals for very long.

• Members

MXR seems to be trying to improve lately, somewhere along the line I think they realized they can't sell crap pedals for very long.

this is what i mean, they were making crap pedals for so long. The poster had said "MXR does everything right".

i had the regular phase 90 reissue, bought it around '97 or so.

• Members

this is what i mean, they were making crap pedals for so long. The poster had said "MXR does everything right".

i had the regular phase 90 reissue, bought it around '97 or so.

From what I understand that version was pretty bad. I think all the pedal companies starting up in the last 8 years or so are pushing them to weed out the crap. They either up the quality or die.

That being said, if i'd get a Phaser I'd probably go for the Retro-Sonic.

• Members

One of the best things about it is you can disengage the filter sweep and manually set it... see video (it's mounted on a mic stand in front of the guitarist.)

Is that a mod?I wonder if someone could but that on a switch?

• Members

It sure seems like that :cop:

Many people saying good things about MXR stompboxes that have come out recently.

But judging from the response I'm getting in here, they've done a good job with the flanger too, even if that's an older release. In fact, there's so much positive talk that I have to try one out :)

• Members

i found there reissues to have the highest quality film parts. my dstortion + is fantastic. MXR has one of the best chorus ever. flanger is great. the hendrix reissue fuzz face circuits are great too. blue box has character. all hardwire switched. not true bypass exactly, but it reproduces the tone faithfull off, and no degradation on.

an obscure mxr to try would be the auto Q , it adds a lil someting to the sustained parts.

when i bought my pedals, there were 4 pedal companies at the town music shop. boss , digitech, ehx, mxr. ehx was alway to far out there. Boss sounded better than digiwarez. MXR had the professional polish to it.

• Members

Is that a mod?I wonder if someone could but that on a switch?

No, it's standard. Just turn the width knob all the way down and you can adjust the sweep with the manual knob. Or set the manual where you want it and disengage/engage the sweep like in the video.

You can even make the flanger oscillate, not for the faint of heart though.

Archived