Mayo vs. Zero

Crxsh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah if you like the smoothness of the Mayo it seems a shame to change it when you could just put your Fish n Chips after it and make it sound as scooped or boosted as you want

I don't really want to change the EQ balance ... I just want a fuzz that isn't a smooth. I want something more cutting, but not like ... nasty. I don't want a Devi fuzz, I just want something that isn't quite as nice as the Muff/Mayo.

Does that make sense?

• Members

Am I the only one who thinks a $300+ boutique fuzz pedal shouldn't need an EQ?

I could see using an EQ to shape the sound of your inexpensive muff but if I spent that kinda of scratch on a pedal it sure as {censored} better sound how I want it to on it's own.

You could always try a compressor in front of your Mayo. Compression in front of my Fuzz face clone can make it sound more nasty and sputtery.

• Members

When you turn the tone up on the Mayo does it get more spikey? I usually have the tone control on my Pink Flesh set at about 10 o'clock because as soon as it's approaching noon it does lose some of its smoothness. But as a result of that as it loses the smoothness it cuts better.

• Members

I could see using an EQ to shape the sound of your inexpensive muff but if I spent that kinda of scratch on a pedal it sure as {censored} better sound how I want it to on it's own.

You could always try a compressor in front of your Mayo. Compression in front of my Fuzz face clone can make it sound more nasty and sputtery.

I think I'm w/ you here. In all honesty - I don't really adjust the tone much on any of my pedals. For the most part, noon is just fine. I like the idea of being able to adjust the tone, but it seems like it is either unecessary or it doesn't sound all that good when you do adjust the tone. Maybe it's just me, though.

• Members

I agree as well. I don't want to EQ it because I think it's fine as is .... and noon or 1:00 Tone on the Mayo sounds awesome. I just kinda want a fuzz with a different character to it. Something less "muff" perhaps?

My fuzz experience is limited, so I don't know what I'm looking for. I'll check out that hoof, but IIRC, it's pretty muff like too.

• Members

What about the Top Fuel? I haven't tried it yet, but mine's being delivered next month. Maybe that would do it.

You have a Fuzz Face, so this might not apply, but I just love my MXR Classic 108 Fuzz. It has some muff like feeling to it, but it is more cutting, cleans up well, and just more overall bite to it. I don't even miss my Muff right now. PGS has a good video of it.

• Members

I once had a Mayo, and now I have a Zero, and a Hoof. The Zero is more aggressive than the Mayo but it isn't an overwhelming muff/fuzz at all, it still retains it's smoothness but it just has more of a growl to it. As for the Hoof, well it just kicks all sorts of ass, if for some reason I lost my hoof, and was offered either the Mayo or Hoof for the same price as the Hoof, I would choose the Hoof. It is smooth, but can get nice and gritty, smooth chord work that doesn't get lost, and individual notes sing as well, it just has the sound I have been looking for in a muff/fuzz. If you like the sounds on the new Black Keys album, you would like the Hoof very much.

• Members

nope I agree, but what's the best solution a $20 F&C or another $300 pedal with a slightly different tonal quality?

• Members

nope I agree, but what's the best solution a $20 F&C or another $300 pedal with a slightly different tonal quality?

Apparently, I don't understand EQ. How is that going to change the texture of the Mayo?

• Members

Apparently, I don't understand EQ. How is that going to change the texture of the Mayo?

I obviously don't understand 'texture' then, I thought you were wanting something 'cutting' I took that to mean cutting through a mix.

texture, tone, cutting, smooth, more cutting, but not like nasty, just as fuzzy as the Mayo but with more attitude.

seriously I have no idea what you are talking about.

Try a Big Muff. :poke:

Archived