Boss DD-5 Vs MXR Carbon Copy

• Members

I haven't tried the MXR but these seem to be too different animals. What do you WANT it to do? I would probably classify the Boss as a good all around delay for more pristine sounding, digital repeats. The MXR is going to be more of a poor man's Deluxe Memory Man from what I've read and heard. The clips I've heard on it are great... especially, when compared to other analog sounding delays.

I have the Boss but I bought it for acoustic shows a while back. Most people around hear are going to prefer analog delays because of the perceived "warmth". I find that the Boss doesn't get lost in the mix of a band and is indispensable.

• Members

:facepalm:

Two VERY different delays man. Depends on what you need.

DD-5:

Is digital, sounds digital.

Has external tap tempo.

Has 11 modes including hold, reverse, etc.

Has up to 2000ms of delay.

Carbon Copy:

Is analog, sounds darkly analog. (Warmer & more natural than digital.)

Has good (shallow) modulation.

Has up to 600ms of delay.

Has no other features than straightforward delay.

• Members

I just got a dd-5 (awesome deal) and it's pretty fun... I also have a delay pedal that does the analogue sorta thing, and I like them both for different reasons.

The Boss is really crisp and clear, and seems to cut through mixes really well which I like. Also I just found in reverse mode when you move the D. time knob you get weird delay pitch variation. It's cool because it sounds more musical than oscillation... it sounds more like a record slowing down and speeding up.

Analog delays are darker and generally have more "character." It all depends on what you want.

• Members

Some make it sound like the boss "Sounds digital" like thats bad. Think of it like this.. The boss delayed sound, sounds just like your guitars dry sound with all the tone intact. The mxr analog, does not. It sounds like your guitar with the tone control backed off about half way "dark" The mod on the delayed sound is weak. I just tryed one and sent it back. I was talking to a friend about it the other day and he was thinking that it might sound better with a tele. Not a bad pedal tho just to dark for my taste.

• Members

:facepalm:

Two VERY different delays man. Depends on what you need.

DD-5:

Is digital,
sounds
digital.

Has external tap tempo.

Has 11 modes including hold, reverse, etc.

Has up to 2000ms of delay.

Carbon Copy:

Is analog,
sounds
darkly analog. (Warmer & more natural than digital.)

Has good (shallow) modulation.

Has up to 600ms of delay.

Has no other features than straightforward delay.

Nice review. Carbon Copy would be my vote.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

the boss dd series is excellent, can't go wrong with any of them IMO. I really want a carbon copy to compliment my dd-6 (which I'm planning on getting the high-cut mod/one of the jacks changed into a tap tempo jack on... probably.).

I would just get a dd-5 and get the high-cut mod but I hear that the repeats don't pitch shift when fiddling with the time knob..? I love that about my dd-6. I agree with whoever else said it earlier as well - I like that pitch shifting sound more than the standard analog oscillation.

Archived