SOT: String gauge

booher

• Members

Has anyone ever went down gauges on their strings? I play 13s on my two main guitars right now, which are an SG and an Aria CS-250. I play them quite comfortably and I can bend no problem. I like having something to grab on to and I think the thickness of the strings helps out a lot with that.

Every time I play a guitar with 11s or 10s on it, they just feel too fragile, like I'd bend the strings out of tune every time. I realize I could probably get used to it, but I'm not sure if the tone is going to change a whole lot when I do. And the whole readjusting how I play might change a bit.

Has anyone moved down from heavier gauge strings in favor of lighter gauges? I'd like to stick with 11s at least.

• Members

I had 11's for a while on my 335's. I went down to 10's because 11's sounded a bit too thick for my liking. They sounded fine on a Les Paul but not with the semi-hollow 335. 9's were too bright and 10's suited me just right.

If you're happy with your strings, why change them? Someone like Peter Buck has a pretty unusual selection of string gauges on his Rickenbacker (http://www.rickbeat.com/gallery/peterbuck/peterbuck.htm). I feel really wierd playing any guitar strung with 9's so moving from 13's to 11's would probably feel like a big change to you.

• Members

Yeah I use 11 to 54 in standard tuning and that feels fine to me.

I've never been able to use 9s or 10s. I learned on my brother's crappy acoustic so that toughened up my fingers quite a bit. I also like the thick raunchy tone you get when thicker gauge strings are aged just right.

• Members

Has anyone ever went down gauges on their strings? I play 13s on my two main guitars right now, which are an SG and an Aria CS-250. I play them quite comfortably and I can bend no problem. I like having something to grab on to and I think the thickness of the strings helps out a lot with that.

Every time I play a guitar with 11s or 10s on it, they just feel too fragile, like I'd bend the strings out of tune every time. I realize I could probably get used to it, but I'm not sure if the tone is going to change a whole lot when I do. And the whole readjusting how I play might change a bit.

Has anyone moved down from heavier gauge strings in favor of lighter gauges? I'd like to stick with 11s at least.

Why do you even want to change? :idk:

• Members

11s have been comfortable on everything to me so far; shortscale, 24 3/4, 25.5, 25

never really could understand why people would use different gauges for different scale lengths... i tried that, and could never really get comfortable evenly across the board, even tho i have guitars w/varying scale lengths.

• Members

I'm thinking about changing because I want to be able to pull off better bends lower in the fret range, and i feel like the strings are just too stiff in general. You know, like when you hit the strings, they don't really move a whole lot. Obviously they make sound, but they don't react the way I might like them too. I'm just worried that the sound isn't going to be thick enough if i go any lower than 12s.

• Members

I'm left handed but I play righty, so big strings have never been a problem. I use 11s in both standard tuning and down 1/2 step and I can do unison bends and things of that nature just fine. Plus, they sound better.

• Members

generally i use 9's or 10's, but recently i tried out 12's and it was just an odd experience for me. i know 12's are supposed to sound better, but it screwed with my bends and things like that. i also noticed that my guitar didnt' stay in tune as well either. if that makes any sense

Archived