Anyone hunt birds with 20 inch barrel?

HMCMedic

• Members

BTW, depends on the choke, and the birds. If it's quail, or maybe dove, then probably... but you'll starve if you're trying to hunt geese with that gun.
;)

:thu:

I was thinking pheasant and turkeys more than anything:)

• Members

12 or 20 gauge with a 20 inch barrel should kill a turkey... assuming you knock it's block off. I use a super full choke. That ought to do it for a turkey or pheasant.

Right on.

I'm looking at the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme with screw in chokes. 12G side by side with 20inch barrel. I'm mainly looking to do pheasant and turkey but I'm curious as to whether or not a 20 inch barrel with proper choke cab reach ducks and geese too. (n00b hunter)

I also need to find some good forums for proper education! Know any good ones?

• Members

:thu:

I was thinking pheasant and turkeys more than anything:)

well, you might be able to get close enough to turkeys that the spread wouldnt be so bad at a short distance... of course from that distance you might not like what's left of them afterwards.

Or you could just club them to death with the shotgun.

• Members

I wouldn't shoot the 20 inch barrel at a duck or geese.

Get a good 12 gauge 28 inch barrel (2 3/4 or 3 inch shells). Get a semi automatic with plastic butt and fore end. This way, it'll handle watery areas better... and still usable upland.

The shoot clays as often as possible.

• Members

What does a choke do? Does it keep the shot in a tight pattern so it's more accurate and doesn't completely obliterate the bird?

exactly.

There's nothing worse than biting into shot. The tighter the pattern... the harder the thump on the game.

• Members

I should mention that I hunt a great deal... but no waterfowl. Just about everything else though.

All that to say, I don't know about ducks and geese. I do know that stainless 4 shot in a tight group will kill about anything.

• Members

Reloaders' / Reloading , is not as cheap as one might think , I personally don't own reloaders' / via my jackect , yet have access via a key away .

I enjoy taking my time and working with things. I like setting up gear for shows. I like taking my guns / rifles / shotguns apart and cleaning them. I know I would enjoy the peace and quiet time loading my own rounds. But I barely have enough time to shoot... let alone reload.

• Members

I've taken down more than one Bore with knife , if that ani't with your hands' , ever seen a 285 pound Boar bearing down on you @ 30 + MPH ...

Hardcore. When I lived in hawaii, I lived on top of a mountain, and behind my house was this long trail that led up to the top of the big mountain range that cuts the island in half. Every couple of days, guys would go in there to hunt boar and would come back with one. Mother {censored}ers were HUGE.

• Members

Very bad choice for pheasants or turkey. Sorry but buy a real shotgun in 26 or 28 inch barrel length. The shorter the barrel the worse they kick and that will develop into a flinch and then you won't be able to hit a bull in the ass.

• Members

Very bad choice for pheasants or turkey. Sorry but buy a real shotgun in 26 or 28 inch barrel length. The shorter the barrel the worse they kick and that will develop into a flinch and then you won't be able to hit a bull in the ass.

I hear ya:)

I'm looking at some CZ over/unders with 28 inch barrel:thu:

• Members

Yeah , man "standard" the way to go , 20" is like getto huntin' ... , yet , if that's what you have I still recommende going no less than 4 shot , with a very powerful powder , 20" is not very common yet avail , not the barrel of choice for fowl tho ...

that cowboy action shooting just made me want the coach gun:thu:

Archived