major pedal confusion

xinzen

• Members

kk iv been playing guitar for 5 years and im getting serious about fx pedals im thinking of using a boss ml2 or mt 2 (advice on whats better for metalcore/hardcore?)

but what i need to know is if i was using either what effect would a maxon od-9 or an ibanez ts9 have on my sound ?? would it make a fuller sounding metal distortion or would it make a really stupid fuzz overload sound that my boss gt8 makes when i mix a distorted preamp and an overdrive ??

email any advice to xiii@hiptop.com.au

cheers ,

Tom

• Members

I haven't actually tryed any boss stomp boxes so I wouldn't know

Atm im using a boss gt-8 straight into stero spekaers but im getting a marshall avt 150 half stack soon

All I need 2 know is what effect would either the maxon or ibanez pedals have of a hevy metal distortion =]

• Members

Maybe tell us what amp you are using? I will get flamed for this, but I hate Boss. They have perfected putting crap in a stomp box. After the Metalzone, I knew I would never buy a Boss pedal.

As far as OD/distortion, I can partially agree.

But reverb/delay efx......

My RV-2, DD-5, and RC-2 all rock my socks every time I use them.

• Members

I am getting a good amp .. But I would like to know for future refrence so I can have a basic idea of what pedals I want to purchase .

Any actual advice on the questions I asked in the first pst would be appreciated ..
If not boss then what brand is good for metalcore/hardcore distortions?

• Members

Ok so basicaly what I need to know is on my marshall avt 150
If was on the od1 chanel and diald in a heavy distortion then used the mi audio tube zone pedal what effect would it have ?

• Members
Maybe tell us what amp you are using? I will get flamed for this, but I hate Boss. They have perfected putting crap in a stomp box. After the Metalzone, I knew I would never buy a Boss pedal.

:facepalm:

• Members

If you're playing anything "-Core", You need a high gain amp.

You're not going to fake it with an ML-2.

+1

High gain metal distortion can not be replicated with a pedal. There are some that do a pretty good job, but they're expensive. If metal is your main genre, you should invest in an amp that can deliver that kind of gain on it's own.

And don't get the AVT just because it's big and it has "Marshall" written on it. It's not a very good amp for the money, and you'll end up buying heaps of dirt pedals trying to get the sound you want. Buying a high gain tube amp will be somewhat more expensive, but it will be worth it. The Bugera 6260 is pretty cheap, and it's supposed to be good for modern metal.

• Members

yeah the avt150 should not be your answer because it says "marshall" on it. it's a valvestate, and has one of the more gritty buzzy distortion tones i've heard at that price point. if you are looking for a good solid state head that will bring the heavy, check out the peavey XXL. well respected solid state head that sounds great, and will get you seriously heavy tones without any pedal help.

to answer your question, using a ts-9 or any overdrive with the level way up, the drive pretty low, and the tone to taste will "boost" your amp, and on the gain channels tends to add saturation and compression. this is going to vary a lot based on the amp and the pedal.

honestly, man, if those are the tones you are going for, the avt series isn't where i'd start.

good luck!

• Members

Yep, tone suck is what Boss is for :thu:

• Members

these dudes are correct, i used to play straight thrash/death metal and no pedal is going to do you right, you need tubes and a high gain stage. if you're on a budget search ebay for a peavey vtm 120, if you have at least 500 bucks for the head pick up a 5150. you won't find better metal tone for the money.

i always played a 5150 into a cab with vintage 30's, if you look around hard enough you can pick up the pair for about 900.

• Members

Iv been looking around at gear and im pretty set on getting a 5150 now ebay seems like a good option but if anyone knows a seller who I can get a good deal for round 500 then pst me (y)

My only problem is I live in aus so getting them shipped over from the US is a bit of a problem

Now something else that came up is the pedal called isp decimator ... iv seen heaps of people with these things in there rigs and my local music store has just recentley got some in ..

I was reading some reviews for my avt half stack that im getting (its on laby btw so yeh I kinda have 2 get it now >But when you crank it past 6 it gets horrid feedback no matter how far away you are .. So would this isp noise gate be a good option for me?

Any advice or recomendations on equipment for metalcore/hardcore music would be sweet

Once again cheers
Tom

• Members

Lol well as much as I would like to my dad has a bit of a hell no veiw on that Idea .. Its a discontionued model so Its good for collecting dust .. Im only in year 11 at school so it will do for now .. Besides I want to have something to compare to my 5150 when I do get it . ^^

• Members

If you can tell them you don't want it, do it. It will be worth it. I'm sure the AVT is a decent amp but it is not made for metalcore.

If you want to play anything metal, you will want a high gain amp like the Peavey 5150, new version of the 5150 (6160 or what's it called?), XXL or similar. Telling yourself you want an amp "to compare to your 5150" is simply telling yourself lies. You won't be happy until you have the real thing.

• Members

A Jackson Soloist guitar + Peavey 5150 is also a kinda arranged marriage, but it's still not what I'm looking for or right for the type of music I'm playing. If you play metal, you want a metal amp.

With that being said, I'm sure you will get great classic rock tones with that combo and if you'd be comfortable with that, then so be it.

• Members

Well, there is Marshall and there is "Marshall". The AVT has very little in common with the amps that made Marshall famous. It's a cheap solid state amp designed to milk their brand name for as much money as possible.

Archived