speaker impedance question...help

• Members

One of the speakers in my 2x12 cab blew out at practice last night. The cab had two 8 ohm speakers connected to it. My drummer had some Celestion speakers lying around that someone gave him. So I put one in in place of the blown speaker, but it's a 16 ohm speaker. So I now have an 8 ohm and a 16 ohm speaker in my cab. What is the impedance of this? I'm assuming they're hooked up in series. I hooked up the new speaker the same way the old one was connected. My amp has 4/8/16 ohm outputs, which one should I connect my cab to? Sorry but I don't know anything about speakers/ohms and just wanna make sure I don't blow up my amp.

thanks for the help!

• Members

In series impedances count up, but I don't think you can do that here (that would give you 24 ohms, whoah :p).

Honestly, I don't really know, but I thought that taking a lower impedance out on your amp into a higher impedance speaker wasn't harmful in any way...

Or was it the other way around :facepalm:

• Members

2 8 ohm speaker if their wired + to+ / - to - = 4 ohms the other way would be 16 ohms.

a 16 and a 8 would depend how you have them wired up.

16 and 8 when + to +/ - to - should be 5.333 if my calculations are correct. If the other way it will be 24.

• Members

can you mix em like that? no way.

if you wanted a lil more than 4ohms, you could use a 18 and a 8....get 5.5...that is sweet.

yeah, it's not gonna hurt to run a 4ohm output into 5 and a half ohms (or whatever it works out at)

I'm actually doing it at the moment, I have an 8 ohm extention cab output (+8ohm internal speaker out) and a switch to change the amp to 4ohms to use both, but my cab is 16ohms mono so I'm actually running it at 5.333ohms total output...as long as it's higher there's nothing to worry about it just drives the output stage a little less hard.

Archived