Need help from people with Boss Loopers.

melx

• Members

Firstly let me say if the SMM/H could save a dozen 30 second loops I would be sorted already, but unfortunatly it doesn't. :cry: (I wish this had a little flash card slot)

so what I'm thinking is I can record the loops on the SMM/H (all modulated, delayed, flitered, backwards and whatever) then record those into a boss, which will save them I believe? then I can use the boss as a loop 'play back' pedal.

So, how quickly can you change from 1 saved loop to another, for example a loop in the verse and a different one in the chorus of a song, can you change it by foot?

Say my drummer is playing the song a bit faster than normal...can I tap the loop to get it in time without changing the pitch? (like I can on the SMM/H)

which Boss would be good for what I'm trying to do here or is there a better way of doing this?

oh, and do they have stereo ins and outs?

I'm just looking for a simple way without having samplers and drummers playing to headphone click tracks and all that stuff....that's a little OTT for playing down the pub!!

any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

• Members

Firstly let me say if the SMM/H could save a dozen 30 second loops I would be sorted already, but unfortunatly it doesn't.
:cry:
(I wish this had a little flash card slot)

so what I'm thinking is I can record the loops on the SMM/H (all modulated, delayed, flitered, backwards and whatever) then record those into a boss, which will save them I believe? then I can use the boss as a loop 'play back' pedal.

So, how quickly can you change from 1 saved loop to another, for example a loop in the verse and a different one in the chorus of a song, can you change it by foot?

Say my drummer is playing the song a bit faster than normal...can I tap the loop to get it in time without changing the pitch? (like I can on the SMM/H)

which Boss would be good for what I'm trying to do here or is there a better way of doing this?

oh, and do they have stereo ins and outs?

I'm just looking for a simple way without having samplers and drummers playing to headphone click tracks and all that stuff....that's a little OTT for playing down the pub!!

any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

This is exactly what I did when I owned both.

Best bet would be the RC-20XL. I personally don't need to extra RC-50 features, despite the handiness. It takes a few seconds to load up a longer clip (5 min+...going from memory here) depending on how long the recorded phrase is of course.

You can start to play a recorded loop, then switch the knobbie to your next desired loop, and it will automatically play after this first one is done.

Tap tempo on the fly as well to adjust for the inevitable tempo changes.

• Members
RC-50 - yes. theres a pedal for each phrase.

RC-20 - yes, but you'll have to use an external footswitch. (and it goes only to the next loop - you can't go to the previous loop
:facepalm:
)

yes.

basically, any Loop Station will do.

(although, i would use a laptop
:)
)

only the RC-50.

cheers...so the RC-2 will do all this apart from changing the loop by foot?

• Members
This is exactly what I did when I owned both.

Best bet would be the RC-20XL I think. It takes a few seconds to load up a longer clip (5 min+...going from memory here) depending on how long the recorded phrase is of course.

You can start to pay a recorded loop, then switch the knobbie to your next desired loop, and it will automatically play after this first one is done.

Tap tempo on the fly as well to adjust for the inevitable tempo changes.

5 mins to load up?? can you explain that....so if I was playing the loop for the chorus, I wouldn't be able to play the loop for the verse until 5mins later!!?? :confused:

• Members
5 mins to load up?? can you explain that....so if I was playing the loop for the chorus, I wouldn't be able to play the loop for the verse until 5mins later!!??
:confused:

No sorry...it took a few seconds (an LED flashes to indicate it's thinking) to load when the recorded loop was a longer duration (4-6 min's).

• Members
Yes...but I'm guessing you would have some fun with the reverse feature on RC-20XL.

I have reverse in the hazarai though, if I put the Boss before the EHX then I could record the loop back into the hazarai and reverse it!! :lol:

{censored} this all sound really complicated to pull off live. :facepalm:

• Members

No sorry...it took a few seconds (an LED flashes to indicate it's thinking) to load
when
the recorded loop was a longer duration (4-6 min's).

ahh right, no they would probably only be 20-30 seconds looping round and round because the hazarai only does 30secs anyway.

• Members

I think I just need to try one really, I'll try and borrow one or something...so how mant different 'patches' do you have to record different loops? if they were all 30 seconds long?

• Members

Any examples of which products I would be looking at?

I'm not buying tomorrow but it would still be interesting for live situations when you're the only guitarist.

the Boss SP-404 for example.

i guess it'll be pretty hard to control it while playing guitar....

maybe with a MIDI foot controller.

• Members
5 mins to load up?? can you explain that....so if I was playing the loop for the chorus, I wouldn't be able to play the loop for the verse until 5mins later!!??
:confused:

this problem is illustrated in my youtube video here. The rc-2 and i suspect others as well need to load from memory the stored loop. This makes sense and has to do with the limitations of the technology. If you restart the loop too early, it will cut out on playback. 2-4 seconds are needed to restart so that the callback can catch up with the playback. It's kind of annoying, but nothing you can do about it. Maybe the jamman or rc50 are superior in this manner, but i don't know.

i don't think the rc2 is what you want from your questions. You have to stop one loop before starting another and waiting 2-4 seconds in between. You could get loopers and switch between them and that would be instantaneous.

[YOUTUBE]xrmi-6huw4I[/YOUTUBE]

Archived