Rocket34bg's weekly rant: Behringer > Boutique?

rocket34bg

• Members

first of all, no pedal is better than another. everyone's opinion is completely valid. even douchey little kids at guitar center, if they are making the sounds they want to be making with their line 6 amps and whammys

but personally i think behringer pedals just make more interesting sounds than the majority of boutique pedals! i would rather get a 40 dollar echo machine than spend 300 dollars on a boutique distortion that advertises nothing but "tone"

tone? whatever. give me pitch shifters and delays and extreme modulation

only thing behringer can't do is make me sweet glitchy fuzzes like devi ever does. but they can't be perfect can they? even the best boutique builders can't make EVERYTHING

next weeks rant: who needs guitars anymore?

next next weeks rant: why people who call people "trolls" are just bad debaters

• Members

i want some behringer.

however, there ARE pedals that are better than others. how? better quality components. ones that wont fall apart and will deliver consistent results every time you use it. pedals that suck are pedals that use cheap components in order to save a buck. or pedals with bad design that contributes to unwanted extras like noise or intermittance.

ived tried some behringer pedals and have been impressed. i wanna rehouse a couple. ive heard the plastic enclosures are pretty sturdy, but i like my metal :)

• Members

When I opened the package! Seriously, two malfunctions straight out of the packaging!

that happens with boss. or any product really. just send it back and get a new one.... it would be a different story if they didn't have a warranty...

i actually like the behringer foot switches more than the boss's. easier to turn on and off.

• Members

1. comparing an echo machine to a distortion is an invalid argument as they don't do the same type of effect at all. I'd also point out that although $300 boutique distortions do exist, they are on the extreme end of the scale. you picked the most expensive boutique pedal that performed the least things and was the most "transparent" and decided to present that as an argument, thinking we are all fools. while I agree $300 is way overpriced for a distortion, you can find some for less than half that price that are just as nice.

in any case, your argument is still moot. pick a $300 delay/echo instead

2. build quality also falls into the price. you might of been lucky with your 20 behringer pedals, but I guarantee you they will not last a tour. they're built fine for bedroom jamming, but youre taking a risk if youre playing shows with them. better have replacements available!

3. behringer can afford to sell their products cheap because they use cheap components. a lot of them might sound good to your ears (even many people's ears) but I'm willing to bet that if you compare the effect/buffer quality of all boutiques and the effect/buffer quality of behringers, the ones that use higher fidelity components will sound nicer in a blind test. I'm talking about noise floor, tone loss, quality and fidelity of the effect itself.

4. its not to say a lot of boutiques aren't crap with a $200 sticker on it (and there are many that are overpriced) but it's a little unfair to lump ALL of them under one rating.

and finally for what it's worth, I tend to prefer mass produced pedals as well, thoguh I still do have a fair number of boutiques. I'm willing to spend a little extra because the boutiques quite frequently offer more flexibility and features in their bedals than the mass-producers who are usually too scared to incorperate a "weird effect" because of the lesser appeal

• Members

1. comparing an echo machine to a distortion is an invalid argument as they don't do the same type of effect at all. I'd also point out that although $300 boutique distortions do exist, they are on the extreme end of the scale. you picked the most expensive boutique pedal that performed the least things and was the most "transparent" and decided to present that as an argument, thinking we are all fools. while I agree $300 is way overpriced for a distortion, you can find some for less than half that price that are just as nice.

i see what you're trying to say. but i think you missed the actual point i'm trying to make. i'm not trying to argue that the behringer echo machine is better than a zvex fuzz factory (just an example). why would anyone want to argue that?! doesn't makes sense. but hey, i can say which one i like more, right? maybe i like friends more than no country for old men. one is a tv show and one is a movie, i can still like one better than the other. but you can't tell me my opinion is the wrong opinion.. well you can... but you would be wrong. that's my point reallly.

in any case, your argument is still moot. pick a $300 delay/echo instead

i like the echo machine more than the dmm. not boutique, but yeah. i like digital delay more though. so, that's what i like. doesn't make me a bad person does it?

2. build quality also falls into the price. you might of been lucky with your 20 behringer pedals, but I guarantee you they will not last a tour. they're built fine for bedroom jamming, but youre takign a risk if yorue playing shows with them. better have replacements available!

then you should have replacements of ALL your gear. but it's not a problem for me. if i break a pedal (ANY pedal, not just a behringer, i'm always thinking my dl-4 might break one day) i could live without it. as long as i have a working guitar, i could make a song work. improv is fun you know? but seriously, just don't do anything you wouldn't do to a boss pedal and the behringer pedal WON'T break

3. behringer can afford to sell their products cheap because they use cheap components. a lot of them might sound good to your ears (even many people's ears) but I'm willing to bed that if you compare the effect/buffer quality of all boutiques and the effect/buffer quality of behringers, the ones that use higher fidelity components will sound nicer in a blind test. I'm talking about noise floor, tone loss, quality and fidelity of the effect itself.

do the test. i've done it.

4. its not to say a lot of boutiques aren't crap with a $200 sticker on it (and there are many that are overpriced) but it's a little unfair to lump ALL of them under one rating.

i know. i'm saying generally i like behringer pedals more than boutique pedals. of course there are exceptions! i'm not saying EVERY behringer pedal is better than EVERY boutique pedal. i'm not that dumb!

• Members

When I said that the amp drew more power due to reverb, I was talking about the digital processing (I'm no electronics major but I know reverb takes a lot juice).

i'm not sure why his amp was working. but i would recommend to him to buy a mixer + line 6 pod or behringer v-amp. if you're going digital, why do you need amp? i never understood that

• Members

echo park is nice, i don't like the way it looks + having to power it with it's own power supply.

i've heard so many people knock the echo park for the power supply issue, but i run it in a one spot with 2 other pedals attached and i've gotten no noise problems with mine.

maybe i'm just lucky? :idk:

• Members

i've heard so many people knock the echo park for the power supply issue, but i run it in a one spot with 2 other pedals attached and i've gotten no noise problems with mine.

maybe i'm just lucky?
:idk:

weird, i guess it just depends what power you're using. go 1spot! my fav

• Members

i'm not sure why his amp was working. but i would recommend to him to buy a mixer + line 6 pod or behringer v-amp. if you're going digital, why do you need amp? i never understood that

It is a behringer amp with built in effects. Turn the reverb up too high and the thing dies. It's just a toy for the dude who has it, he's this old redneck dude who still has trouble understanding the effects and parameters.

• Members

the echo park wants its own power supply because the power stage was designed kinda stupidly on the echo park. if it works with your daisy chain, thats great! mine didnt. but who cares if it needs its own power supply its an awesome pedal!

• Members

the echo park wants its own power supply because the power stage was designed kinda stupidly on the echo park. if it works with your daisy chain, thats great! mine didnt. but who cares if it needs its own power supply its an awesome pedal!

yeah, it's fine. the behringer is just more convenient cause i'm always switching around pedals and... it's a little cheaper.

of course line 6 designed it.. soo, go line 6!

Archived