First Time Guitar Effects User

carlton

• Members

Hi...I'm new...

I am looking at the Digitech RP series and also the Zoom series...I have never had effects before...I jam with mates mainly which may involve gigging if we get any good....I play a 2006 US Strat and a Fender 65R AMP.....I don't want to buy individual pedals....

I would prefer one with a drum machine...

Any comments experiences or watch outs would be appreciated....

Thanks

• Members

I started out with a multi-effects pedal (RP350) and I'm glad I did. It allowed me to see what effects i did and did not use, what i liked and what i didnt like without buying and selling a bunch of pedals in the process.

• Members

Define what effects are going to matter for you. You can get good sound with a multi unit, but the best tones are best found in separate boxes. A pedalboard is like a multi effct that each part was custom selected for the properties you want the most. It gets to change all the time too, try to do that with an expensive multi that doesn't resell well. Just a thought, I started with singles thought I moved up with some multi units and gave up on efx, then came back for the explosion in great single units that has been the last 6 years or so.

• Members

I think a multi unit is great for a beginner...not too expensive and they get to find out what they will really use rather than wasting a large amount of money on pedals. Then slowly replace the effects with individual boxes until the multi unit is gone...if ever. I still use a combination of individual boxes and a multi unit..sounds good so use it.

Archived