Almost made my choice...(fuzz)

• Members

I've asked around on other forums and have it down to these three.

-Monsterpiece NPN (BC108)

- Fox Rox Hot Silicon (BC109)

- Hartman Silicon Fuzz (BC108)

All these pedals seem to have nice clips and all are within my budget. Though some are significantly cheaper like the Monsterpiece which I can get used for $90 leaving some cash for more effects. However budget isn't an issue.

Which does a great early Gilmour tone, say Live @ Pompeii up to WYWH?

I got a great clip of an user playing Echoes using a Fox Rox and it seemed to nail the tone, so that's my top choice right now. However if the other two are just as good i'll save some cash and get one of the Monterpiece pedals.

• Members

Not to confuse you, but have you checked out the MXR Classic 108 Fuzz? $119 new. And it is very very good. I've owned the Monsterpiece NPN as well, and prefer the Classic 108. Although, i may very well get another Monsterpiece in the near future - they are very good pedals. One thing the MXR has is a buffer switch that can take the edge off this pedal, making it more useable in some situations, like with wah. But it sounds great both ways, and is a very versatile fuzz. Built great, with true bypass. There is a great video of it on proguitarshop.com Check it out and see what you think.

• Members

I think you can't go wrong with either the Monsterpiece NPN or the MXR Classic 108 Fuzz. Whenever I see one of these "help, need fuzz" posts, IRG is usually there with a recommendation of the MXR... and the online videos I've seen definitely back up the recommendation (especially PGS). Plus, the circuit is the same as the new JH Fuzz Face (except the buffer), which was designed by Mr. Huge himself. I have a Three-Headed Monster and I love the NPN the most of all the fuzzes. Really versatile with the bias knob included, nails the 70s Si Fuzz Face tone I was looking for. The two feature similar circuits and the same transistors.

Here's the big question: what's more important to you? If you're using a lot of wah, the MXR might be the way to go, but if you want to shape your fuzz, try the Monsterpiece. Of course, there are ways to have both... either by putting an output buffer in your wah (or a buffered bypass pedal in between), putting the wah after the fuzz, or installing your own bias knob on the MXR. Also, I think a used Monsterpiece can be had for less than the MXR.

• Members

^ Neat

I think you can't go wrong with either the Monsterpiece NPN or the MXR Classic 108 Fuzz. Whenever I see one of these "help, need fuzz" posts, IRG is usually there with a recommendation of the MXR... and the online videos I've seen definitely back up the recommendation (especially PGS). Plus, the circuit is the same as the new JH Fuzz Face (except the buffer), which was designed by Mr. Huge himself. I have a Three-Headed Monster and I love the NPN the most of all the fuzzes. Really versatile with the bias knob included, nails the 70s Si Fuzz Face tone I was looking for. The two feature similar circuits and the same transistors.

Here's the big question: what's more important to you? If you're using a lot of wah, the MXR might be the way to go, but if you want to shape your fuzz, try the Monsterpiece. Of course, there are ways to have both... either by putting an output buffer in your wah (or a buffered bypass pedal in between), putting the wah after the fuzz, or installing your own bias knob on the MXR. Also, I think a used Monsterpiece can be had for less than the MXR.

Well I actually never use the wah, I mean it's there occasionally but I really don't get many uses for it other than when i'm playing some Page riffs. :)

So the buffer would be more of a bonus than a necessary feature.

After looking through the forums some more it seems I can get an NPN/MKII two headed monster for $130 used also.Thus making this situation more complicated.:facepalm:

I really liked the PGS demo of that MXR a very nice fuzz but I really want to try one of these first. You know get to use it in person with some amps similar to my own.

How well does it clean up when you roll off the volume?

To be perfectly honest i'm just not sure. :p

I think i'll go the Monsterpiece route on this, i'm buying used anyways so if I don't like it I could always resell the pedal without too much of a loss?

• Members
^ Neat

Well I actually never use the wah, I mean it's there occasionally but I really don't get many uses for it other than when i'm playing some Page riffs.
:)
So the buffer would be more of a bonus than a necessary feature.

After looking through the forums some more it seems I can get an NPN/MKII two headed monster for $130 used also.Thus making this situation more complicated.
:facepalm:

I really liked the PGS demo of that MXR a very nice fuzz but I really want to try one of these first. You know get to use it in person with some amps similar to my own.

How well does it clean up when you roll off the volume?

To be perfectly honest i'm just not sure.
:p
I think i'll go the Monsterpiece route on this, i'm buying used anyways so if I don't like it I could always resell the pedal without too much of a loss?

Nothing against the MXR, but I think the Monsterpiece you found would be best. The MKII is best for Page riffs. Based on your response and your username, I think you can't go wrong there :thu:

• Members
Nothing against the MXR, but I think the Monsterpiece you found would be best. The MKII is best for Page riffs. Based on your response and your username, I think you can't go wrong there
:thu:

I think I might try a MkII sometime soon. I do think though, owning both, the Classic 108 > NPN. But every set of ears are different, and you'll never know for sure til you try them all. Can't lose with either one though, that's the upside!

• Members

I think I might try a MkII sometime soon. I do think though, owning both, the Classic 108 > NPN. But every set of ears are different, and you'll never know for sure til you try them all. Can't lose with either one though, that's the upside!

I think that getting the MKII for an extra $10 over the MXR will really work for him, so the recommendation has nothing to do with the NPN or MXR being the "better fuzz". As you said, either one, can't lose!

• Members

Picking a fuzz isn't easy man! Tell me about it!

Especially when you want a reverb and pitch-shifter too
:p

Haha agreed, I still need to look into delays and phasers and upgrades for my guitars.

I'm deciding to go all out on this fuzz though, something I know I will probably like and be able to keep for a long time. :thu:

Hey guys I just did some adding up and to my surprise I have a little extra to spend. $300 to be exact. :)

So even if I got just the NPN to cover Gilmour. I could easily buy a Marshall type pedal for those Jimmy tones. Though if I want an MKII I could just get both and still have some money to spare for a phaser or boost.

So I guess it's now NPN and another $205 to spend on different gear.

Or an NPN/MKII and another $163 to spend on a pedal.

I guess I can't loose....but can I win?

Archived