Anyone use Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic with a SS amp?

shooto

• Members

Can't help ya there but I was close to buying this until I heard the tubes are not interchangable. If they burn out you have to send the pedal back to SD, unless you really.. really know what you're doing inside a pedal.

• Members
the tubes are not interchangable. If they burn out you have to send the pedal back to SD, unless you really.. really know what you're doing inside a pedal.

+1

I had it and sold it because of this. It sounded incredible through my Peavey s/s amp though. I would look at something else if I were you. Crunch Box maybe? :idk:

• Members

I use tube pedals cause I direct record. Makes a heck of a difference, but they're not necessary thru an amp.

If you need a tube distortion pedal that closest resembles Twin Tube get the DC Womanizer. Hell of a pedal. $80 more but you can change the tubes. I use EH gold pins.

• Members

what about reliability of the SD?...I've read bad things, true? (besides the "can't change the tubes" thing)

How about a Tonebone?...Classic or Hot British- they seem more reliable and you can change the tube-

• Members

I don't know of any other reliability issues. Do you really need a tube distortion pedal?

It's too bad there's no real place to demo pedals that are not Boss, Line6 or EHX.

Tonebones get good press. Trimode just didn't cut it for me compared to what I already had.

• Members

well, it's the age-old search- looking for something that'll give me a tube sound through a ss-

...and before I get flamed like crazy, this is for rehersal rig stuff (cheap ss head and cab I leave at rehersal so I don't have to haul my "A" rig around)- problem is, I'm still competeing with the big boys (Marshall JMP) and it's so damn middy, I need something that is able to hang in there and mostly cut through...cheaper pedals won't do it apparently- so here I go searching...plus, I don't have a really GOOD distortion pedal, so...

I like the OCD-

btw, I've tried EQ as well to cut :)

• Members

I don't flame people

My brother loves the Trimode. I prefer the Womanizer. Twin Tube gets a thumbs up from reader reviews other than the replacable tube issue. I know without a doubt the Womanizer will do that for you. $300 though.

Archived