I spent another weekend damaging another guitar

• Members

The nitro had alread worn off the neck in this area for the most part. It had been 6 years since I sprayed it. I "aged" it with some ebony stain. Sanded it from 1500 up and rubbed it out with 3M Finessit 2.

2709573042_2126216f62.jpg

Was pretty bad with the hardware... I scuffed the hardware with 2000 grit in circular patterns, repeating in the opposite direction, repeating again, used ferric chloride which probably damaged the integrity of the tunning pegs but I like the look. Next time I will try muriatic acid instead.

2708756797_c5c822cd6b.jpg

2708756285_953396e0c9.jpg

2709571536_1a68cb4f22.jpg

Curiosity got the best of me and I put in this Gretsch pickup... Not sure if I will keep it. Also shown is the pickguard that I nitro'd with amber then "swirl scratched" with 2000 grit. Polished with 3M Finnessit II. Repeat. Making sure the edge bevel is really smooth and not uniformly white or yellow.

2708755239_be1ce30478.jpg

• Members

Oh , discredit this whole shrpell then , I re-read and yeah I know where your coming from with the right tools' / and cutting a new / filling / and re-cutting a nut , I've done a few , learned from a cat I lived next door to in SC / Live Oak , CA , he work for SCGC , and put me on the spot a few times which was a great learning experience .

I took another one of my Tele's into 12th Fret here in PDX. They refret it, installed a new nut, new bridge, set it up. Cost a freaking arm and a leg, but when the guitar was returned to me it was a completely different instrument. My days of doing my own nuts are over. :)

Archived