Gritty, Amp-like, transparent, Non-Tubescreamer OD under $100

DylanWilde

• Members

An extra $50 gets you an OCD. I can't speak on the other pedals, but I have the OCD and it can do what you're asking. IMO, the higher gain settings are stupid, but the low/mid (teh subtlez!) is where it's at. I'll say it again - I sometimes set up my OCD to act as a dirty channel for my MESA tremoverb.

I've got an OCD too but I think the Timmy does the transparent grit thing a bit better. The OCD is a great crunch but the Timmy can sound exactly like your dry tone when bypassed, but with just a touch of grit on top. I've never managed to get quite as transparent a sound from the OCD.

• Members

This might be an odd suggestion, but what about a fuzz face? It seems that with the guitars volume knob, they can go from a good, fuzzy lead tone, down to a usable overdrive. . .But is that a transparent kind of tone? What would be the downside to something like this?

This thing looks like it could be an option, given the above -

m173.jpg

• Members

No word on the Screamin' Blues? I am really curious about this one. . .

I've got a Screamin' Blues and it is quite nice. It can get a bit fizzy at higher gain settings but it's certainly worth a look at the price.

• Members
singingtree.jpg

Wow - what happened to the singing tree? How long has it been like that?

I bought what I believe is a V1 singing tree from letsgocoyote - the one with the wood like pattern in the small enclosure with 4 knobs.

It is definitely gritty and quite loose sounding. It has quite a bit of gain too. It is not quite like anything else I have tried. I can't find the video that NITEFLY182 did, which was a great video (there are clips on YouTube, but I don't think they really do it justice).

A Singing Tree is totally worth considering - I think they are in your price range too!

• Members

I've got a Screamin' Blues and it is quite nice. It can get a bit fizzy at higher gain settings but it's certainly worth a look at the price.

Have you ever compared it to a BD-2? I'm wondering how similar these pedals are, and if the relationship is anything like the Tubescreamer/Bad Monkey kind.

• Members

I've never used a BD-2 sorry. It doesn't sound anything like a TS to me, and I think it has more similarities to something like an OCD. It can go fairly high gain and the EQ options can do a lot of tone shaping.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm resurrecting this thing. After going back and forth many a time, I have decided to let go of both my DOD FX80B Compressor and DOD Overdrive Plus to become one with my dynamics. The Wasabi OD was too dark, but with some fiddling, I found an awesome "lo-fi" setting and still use the boost (which is btw phenomenal). Therefore, I am in further need of advice. . .as of now I am super interested in the Dano Cool Cat Transparent Drive, and think it might be my next acquisition. What say ye?

• Members

Used BD-2. I hear the Hyper Pak is good, but I have yet to try it. From the video's, it sounds like the gain responds a bit weird to picking, not bad, but just different from what I am used to. The BD-2 behaves pretty well. And if you don't like how it sounds, place an EQ after it and you are good to go. The HyperPak seems to be able to do the same thing from what I hear, but like I said, I have no experience with the pedal.

I've had the Keeley BD-2 and play Hyper Paks pretty frequently - the BD-2 isn't at all in the same neighborhood dynamically speaking. Its also pretty raspy when you crank up the gain, the HP isn't.

I think the only parallel you could draw it that they aren't mid-humped pedals, but thats the end of the similarities.

• Members

You contact the guy and
hope
you get on the list for one. He doesn't have a website or anything that I know of.

A couple of sites are selling his pedals now too.

There's no 'hoping' - you call, you get on the list.

It's the pedal you're looking for, IMO. I've auditioned a ton of drives for that sound and the Timmy has yet to be beat after 3+ years on my board.

• Members

So I went to GC hoping to try out and pick up a Dano Transparent OD. They didn't have it, apparently this location didn't carry them in store and they have to be ordered online. So, after testing a BD-2 through both a Twin Reverb (A combination which set off this weird treble response) and the Boss Display Amplifier thing (where the BD-2 actually seemed more correct in terms of frequency compared to the original signal), and finding that maybe I should try something else, I began to look for a Screamin' Blues too. They didn't have that, only a handful of older (pre-"Hardwire") series Digitechs, including the Bad Monkey, which I ended up bringing home for {censored}s and giggles since it was $30 less than the BD-2.

It's a good overdrive. I could get it set to where it was pretty even in terms of response, and fairly transparent when the "low" and "high" controls were almost all the way up, balancing out the inherent mid hump. I was happy until I realized that it still sounded too compressed, and had this innate and typical "classic rock" sound to it. The interesting and unique dynamics that I tend to like in pedals just wasn't there. I know it's a TS derivative, but I thought I should try it out and give such a highly reviewed pedal a decent chance, and, though I did, it's going back, and it simply informed and reinforced my perception of what TS style pedals were about.

I am thinking of just taking it back, and taking a couple of pieces of gear with me to see if I can trade them in and use the additional credit along with the return funds from the Bad Monkey to just grab a BD-2 and be done with it.

• Members

I have the CoolCat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, and Bad Monkey. The Bad Monkey is too middy and muffled for me. The Drive is great, thick, but I think you would like the Transparent Overdrive. No mid hump, clean sounding, not super gainy. The treble and bass controls are nice too. From glassy clean to gritty to fairly chunky.

Archived