Gritty, Amp-like, transparent, Non-Tubescreamer OD under $100

DylanWilde

• Members

I'm leaning toward the Boss BD-2, but what would you guys recommend? I am switching up my rig and deciding to play through a more clean amp setting, which means my echo and reverb effects will shine through better, but that also I'll need an overdrive to pick up some of the dirt that my vintage Traynor with el84s used to provide.

Definitely not interested in mid-humped, smooth TS style pedals. I want more of a dirty, balanced, and dynamic sound (interactive with volume knob) with plenty of output for mild to medium gain sound, and obviously something that resembles a cooking el84 combo. What's the word on the new Dano CoolCat drives? The transparent overdrive also looks like something that could work. . .

• Members

You should also check out the Barber stuff too for balanced, transparent, etc... I have an LTD which I love, but it might not have enough gain for you, but I'm sure the Direct Drive and others are also really good. If you're looking at Boss, the OD-3 seems to get a lot of love as well for what you're wanting.

• Members

Used BD-2. I hear the Hyper Pak is good, but I have yet to try it. From the video's, it sounds like the gain responds a bit weird to picking, not bad, but just different from what I am used to. The BD-2 behaves pretty well. And if you don't like how it sounds, place an EQ after it and you are good to go. The HyperPak seems to be able to do the same thing from what I hear, but like I said, I have no experience with the pedal.

• Members

The RAT circuit is an obvious (and fantastic) choice, and the Freakshow Brown Rabbit is an excellent example. HyperPak demos sound really good, too, but I haven't heard anything low gain. Personally, I use the Boss HM-2 with the gain rolled completely off - EQ to taste, set volume and grit away.

• Members

I always thought a rat was more fuzz than overdrive? Are they newest RAT 2's any good?

Also, any word on the Digitech Screamin Blues? If it is a decent, more tweakable clone of the BD-2 for almost half the price, it seems like it would be worth checking out.

Thanks for all the responses thus far.

• Members

I would recommend against the RAT, just in this particular case. It is a fantastic pedal, but judging from your description, not really what you are looking for. The RAT is a distortion, which means it uses hard clipping. It sounds like you want a pedal that is more of an OD, or uses soft clipping. Both can sound very similar, but the biggest difference (to me at least) is in how the pedal responds to picking. This article can explain it better than I can.

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampovdrv.htm

• Members

I have a modded BD-2, Rat, and the Dano Drive (this one's actually really impressive for the $$). Any of these might work for what you want- the Rat does some beautiful gritty sounds at low gain settings but still imparts added mids. The Dano is kind of in the same ballpark, but smoother. If you want really transparent grit, the BD-2 is a the way to go.

• Members

Spend a little bit more and get a Timmy. It ticks every box that you've asked for: Gritty, Amp-like, transparent, Non-Tubescreamer

An extra $50 gets you an OCD. I can't speak on the other pedals, but I have the OCD and it can do what you're asking. IMO, the higher gain settings are stupid, but the low/mid (teh subtlez!) is where it's at. I'll say it again - I sometimes set up my OCD to act as a dirty channel for my MESA tremoverb.

Archived