Best low cost effects pedals...

thisISjoel

• Members

...hey friends looking into possibly getting rid of my multi-effects and replacing it with individual stomp boxes...

...the problem is money...

...I would ideally like to have a modern sounding distortion for punk-ish, post hardcore type music, a more classic overdrive sound (think AC/DC), delay (digi or analogue), chorus...

...I also quite like phaser but thats not really an essential...

...possibly an EQ and a noise gate too later down the track...

...does anyone have any first hand experience with Belcat (crossfire), Behringer or any other low cost pedals...

...I am in Australia but don't mind buying from US ebay sellers as long as postage is reasonable...

...massive thanks to takes the time respond...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

thanx heaps guys the danelectro pedals seem to be getting good feedback from mose of you guys so I'll be looking into those a bit closer...

...I have noticed there are different series of pedals from dan electro such as FAB, Cool Cat and others (I didn't notice a specific title but thery are a distinctly different shape) is there one series that is better? What are the differences?

• Members

...hey friends looking into possibly getting rid of my multi-effects and replacing it with individual stomp boxes...

...the problem is money...

...I would ideally like to have a modern sounding distortion for punk-ish, post hardcore type music, a more classic overdrive sound (think AC/DC), delay (digi or analogue), chorus...

...I also quite like phaser but thats not really an essential...

...possibly an EQ and a noise gate too later down the track...

...does anyone have any first hand experience with Belcat (crossfire), Behringer or any other low cost pedals...

...I am in Australia but don't mind buying from US ebay sellers as long as postage is reasonable...

...massive thanks to takes the time respond...

I'm in Australia too, buy some Electro Harmonix pedals from these stores.You'll save a FORTUNE buying from the US even with the cost of shipping you come out miles better.

ANALOGMAN

SUPERSOUND (email him for sales)

STEVESMUSIC CENTER

TONEFACTOR

Out of all these stores theres really nothing you cant buy and they all ship to oz,Ive bought from everyone of them and they are good guys.

• Members

Used, you should be able to pick up Arion's EQ and Tubulator ("overdrive"/distortion) for $20-30 US.

Lots of DOD options in the used market, too, if you're patient. EQ has lots of fans, and their FX90 analog delay is a great value pedal.

New, Behringer's VD400 analog delay and TO800 overdrive are very good for the $.

Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive for a little bit more.

• Members

wow...so many more responses than I expected...

ok...so for budget I guess if I can get each pedal for under $70 that'd be sweet...I'd be looking to spend the most probably on the dist/od and the delay because they're my main effects, but I'd still want a decent chorus sound...

...again thanks everyone for your suggestions you've been a massive help and any further insights and suggestions would be awesome especially feedback on pedals you own yourself and the sorts of tones you get with them...

cheers!

• Members

There's a lot to be said for buying locally when you can, but there's also a lot to be paid for doing it in NZ and Australia.

I'd suggest buying from a variety of sources as I've done:

Forumites (I've bought from people here, at TGP and at Talkbass) - keep an eye on the classifieds, ask people nicely if they're willing to ship international. Don't get pissed off if people won't ship international, another deal will come up and it is more hassle for them. But I got a mint Digitech Bass synth wah from a forumite, delivered to my door for

Ebay - you clearly already know about this. Make sure you check the prices for international shipping before you buy though, because some people sell things at bargain prices and charge huge amounts for shipping. Actual shipping costs for a standard boss/digitech/dano pedal to NZ at least are about $12-16 US, more for bigger pedals, using USPS.

Japan - www.ishibashi.co.jp - click on the link to the "u_box". I have no affiliation with these guys, but they're a big chain of Japanese stores, and the U box is their used gear store. I recently got an Arion SCH-Z chorus pedal which is great, for less than $60 NZ including shipping.

Keep an eye out locally for occasional great deals. Cash Converters here is usually terribly overpriced, but I got my Ibanez AD99 analog delay for $50NZ because they had no idea what it was!

As for pedal choices, I agree with many of the ones posted above.

I personally own and would recommend:

Boss OD3 - Nice OD to mild distortion, without the tubescreamer mid-hump

Digitech bad monkey - Nice tubescreamer-style OD with flexible EQ

Danelectro - Chicken salad vibe, tuna melt tremolo, fish'n'chips EQ - all very good at what they do. Haven't tried the cool cat series yet but they are cheap, solidly built (more so than the mini pedals I have) and the reviews are good)

Arion SCH-Z chorus - Cheap and fantastic analog chorus

I wouldn't want to live without delay, but my choices are more expensive than you're looking. DE-7 and Echo Park spring to mind closer to your range.

Oh, and Belcat, well, my experience has been mixed. The delay is a nice, short, analog-voiced digital delay, and it sounds nice. The chorus I have actually owned and just sold (replaced by the Arion). The bypass was a little bit of a tone-sucker, and both on and off positions have a higher volume than the input volume, so you can't use a true-bypass loop to avoid the tone-suck.

And you'll need a power supply. I'm very happy so far with my visual sound 1spot and daisy chains. I'm running 16 pedals off the one supply, and no noise or other issues so far. There's an Aussie distributor but also I just bought an Aussie/NZ model off a seller on ebay, which arrived very quickly and was reasonably priced. PM me if you want details.

Good luck,

Steve

• Members

wow...so many more responses than I expected...

ok...so for budget I guess if I can get each pedal for under $70 that'd be sweet...I'd be looking to spend the most probably on the dist/od and the delay because they're my main effects, but I'd still want a decent chorus sound...

...again thanks everyone for your suggestions you've been a massive help and any further insights and suggestions would be awesome especially feedback on pedals you own yourself and the sorts of tones you get with them...

cheers!

For $70 a pedal you have already a lot of options (providing you're speaking USD... I don't know the change for AUSD). You can consider Digitech, some Boss, EHX, Proco... especially if you search the 2d hand market.

Generally speaking OD/dist are cheaper than time-based effects (delay, reverb, flanger...) so, on a limited budget, it would reasonable to spend less on the first than the second for having a minimum of quality. Also, I might be wrong, but my experience is that you won't find very good sounding flangers or delays in the cheaper brands while getting a decent OD/dist/fuzz is doable.

• Members

Sorry K2000 my amp is behringer GMX1200 (aka V-Tone) half-stack...it's rubbish but I'm in a better position to buy new pedals rather than shell out $2000+ for a big tube head...but I agree with you that nothing can compensate for a decent amplifier...

...also what are peoples thoughts on the FAB series by danelectro? There's an ebay seller selling them for $18us with only $4us shipping...that's crazy cheap! I'm figuring from the price differences that the cool cat models are either newer or a higher range? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Archived