Best Digital Delay

easymoney

• Members

Is the SMMH crazy to the point where most of the features aren't really useful?

I think that depends on who you are and what you need. Useful = Relative

Of that list, the SMMH is the one I haven't owned though -- so I'm probably not the best judge on that one. IMO -- it's not the most practical for live use, which is what kept me away. There's a TON of love for it though.

DD-3 is MONEY on tone though. If "features" aren't your thing, that's the delay of champions.

• Members

I would go with the SMM/h, have owned the DD-20,DD-7, DL-4, and I came back to the SMM/h, IMO it has the best sound of the above mentioned pedals, but the looper isn't really intuitive.

But my 2 picks would be SMM/h, or if you need no presets try out a DD-7, but the multi tap on the SMM/h is what keeps me playing it.

• Members

A couple more cents on your quandary --

I've heard lots of people say that if you like to play with your delay more than you actually play it .... then the SMMH is for you. Not to say that you can't get the basic tones out of it, but it seems to me this thing is more usable if you need craziness rather than basic delay. Plus, I have yet to be sold on how this thing is practical for live use.

Furthermore, I've had 2 DL4's and even though I liked them both for looping and liked a lot of the actual delays, there was something to the sound that didn't really do so well with me. I dunno what it was (user error?) but somewhere between "Tweak" and "Tweeze" it lost me tonally.

Which brings us to the DD-7 -- which is great. Now, you don't get presets, but with that said, all in all, I think the DD-7 is the most practical, sensible and complete compact delay on the market right now. The Analog model is great, it's got looping & external tap tempo ... plus you get modulated delay, reverse and the clear-as-a-bell Boss tone. Plus, from personal experience -- the Mayo & DD-7 work very nicely together. Although, I don't think the Mayo has had any problems with any of the delays I've used it with.

I dunno...just my thoughts.

• Members

Akai headrush E2 makes the DL4 sound like you're hearing it over the phone. I find the DL4 brittle and lifeless with no depth. headrush E2 sounds gorgeous. great looper. AND you can change modes with your feet.

Archived