Slightly OT - Guitar Re-Fret... Worth it??

Kid_A

• Members

So after recording last weekend I realised how stunning my Burny Les Paul Custom sounded, the only problem was that on the higher frets the notes bummed out because the frets are so worn down...

Now my guitar is worth

• Members

There is two dead frets on my sheraton. It's a little over ten years old, so do you think i should get those two replaced? How much does that usually run? And how much is a crowning?

crowning should be much less and would probably fix your dead frets

• Members

many times you just need a crown

Crowning? What does this entail then? I dont need or want another guitar, honestly I dont think I have ever been happier with my sounds then I am right now.

• Members

It's totally worth having it refretted. If it's only the higher frets, you might find you only need a partial refret as opposed to a full refret. My Ibanez ES-355 project does need a full refret as the first five or six frets are barely there now. As the neck is bound, it's going to cost a fair whack but it's a job that needs doing. If a guitar sounds good, having a refret job done is no different to replacing a pickup selector switch: it's just an essential bit of maintenance. Also, a guitar that needs a refret is generally a guitar that has been played a lot, a sign that it sounds good.

• Members

It's totally worth having it refretted. If it's only the higher frets, you might find you only need a partial refret as opposed to a full refret. My Ibanez ES-355 project does need a full refret as the first five or six frets are barely there now. As the neck is bound, it's going to cost a fair whack but it's a job that needs doing. If a guitar sounds good, having a refret job done is no different to replacing a pickup selector switch: it's just an essential bit of maintenance. Also, a guitar that needs a refret is generally a guitar that has been played a lot, a sign that it sounds good.

Good call Andy, nice one... I have been through so many guitars now i dont wanna have to sell this (especially after all the drama to get it) just because of some dud frets. Honestly the guitar sounded so big, rich and harmonic but the poor thing just needs some TLC, shame its so bloody expensive! Especially as its got binding!!! GAH!

So any recommendations in London?

Archived