Compression is it a crutch?

• Members

When I first started playing I used compression a lot, but I had a real heavy picking hand at that time. And could be fairly sloppy with the other.Now in the last few years compression has seemed to get in the way of my playing.Is this just me or do others feel that compression really isn't necessarry.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Likewise. I used to use it all the time, now very occasionally and on clean only. I can't remember the last time I had a compressor in my rack for any more than a quick jam to make sure they were still working!

• Members

I really only use compression on my clean tones, or a clean tone with the slightest bit of grit. It sounds great thru my Stang Ray, especially with finger picked parts where you change dynamics frequently. Compressions just adds something to parts where the dynamics swell and fade.

• Members

I don't use compression for "smoothing out" my playing too often, except with fingerpicking or mellow backing rhythms.

I mostly use it a more of an "effect" rather than a "limiter". Kind of similar to a clean boost that adds sustain and attack, but in a good way.

So I don't really see it as a crutch imo. The tone press that I use has a lot of volume on tap and the blend knob mixes the dry and compressed signal. It isn't really the average everyday compressor.

• Members

yeah i havnt been the compressor on all the time type in a long time.I use it as a right in front of your face effect.Plucky like under the bridge,jangly like sultans of swing.I dont use it as a boost or for sustain or any of that really.I would rather let the dirt boxes do the talking.you might have differing results if youre using amp dirt.Im not

• Members

I think distortion and fuzz are crutches for most of the guitarists on this forum. I love compression on a clean electric tone, and it has nothing to do with any inadequacies in my playing. It's the way I like a guitar to sound.

see i dont know how fuzz or distortion is a crutch. If i play sloppy with my lead tone i get tons of feedback and hear all the little mistakes i make. The same goes for delay, if i make a mistake...it repeats over and over and over again.

I guess its just me but if i was going to go with something that would hide my sloppyness id rather play clean then with a saturated lead tone.

• Members

see i dont know how fuzz or distortion is a crutch. If i play sloppy with my lead tone i get tons of feedback and hear all the little mistakes i make. The same goes for delay, if i make a mistake...it repeats over and over and over again.

I guess its just me but if i was going to go with something that would hide my sloppyness id rather play clean then with a saturated lead tone.

I think he's saying that if you distort the signal enough you get "wall of fuzz" sounds that lack the clarity to display your mistakes.

• Members

I think he's saying that if you distort the signal enough you get "wall of fuzz" sounds that lack the clarity to display your mistakes.

Or he could be saying that fuzz and distortion are compressed anyway?:idk:

• Members

A real nice amp is a lot better than compression.

I mean alot of the use is to sweeten soft guitar playing, and a very rich amp tone is the best remedy for that. That said I use my optical to actually lower the apparent volume sometimes. A have a sorta lively amp with ridiculous dynamics and for some passages I tame the full range of dynamics it can produce. If i stack it with the TS it sorta tames the uneven frequency boost of the screamer.

• Members

I think distortion and fuzz are crutches for most of the guitarists on this forum. I love compression on a clean electric tone, and it has nothing to do with any inadequacies in my playing. It's the way I like a guitar to sound.

for the record, I said nothing about compressors and inadequacies. I said they are the work of the devil

lets face it, no one sells their soul to the devil for inadequate playing!