Just ordered a Classic Player Jazzmaster. Anybody tried one yet?

• Members

I played one and liked it, save the trem. It just didn't seem to feel so natural to me. Might have been the bridge, though. Overall I liked it, but would probably change a few things on it (I'd definitely explore some new pickup options).

• Members

I just bought one and it arrived today. I did that Ebay Live.com 20% off deal so I'll get a $160 refund in 60 days bringing the total to 640.

It's honeymoon time right now, but I like it alot - more than the 1990s Japanese one I used to own. I like the tune-o-matic and more sustain - it sounds more like the MIJ with buzz shop. I use pretty thick strings and they'd still pop off the Jazzmaster bridge.

The neck seems a little bigger and flatter which I like more. The fretwork is better on this one. The pickups seem nice but I can't directly compare them to the Duncans that were in the MIJ. I'm not the type to get really picky about pickups, so I'm the wrong guy to ask about their quality.

The gigbag is very chintzy - the lowest-end Fender gigbag. Also, I could have done without the slotted vintage tuners - I can never get a high .011 E string to not slip. Jazzmasters definitely have their own feel in your lap - I forgot about this. Not a big deal, but different.

Here's a pic from the auction.

jazzmasterblk_3271_7.jpg

• Members

I've heard that they are great and seem to be fairly true to the original except the neck which is more like the thickness of a telecaster neck.

Not thicker but flatter. Anyone who is used to the necks of an original and or the AVRI will be a little displeased. It sounds good to my ears it just doesnt feel natural to me with the jumbo frets and flatter neck.

• Members

Its a great guitar. Neck feels great. I'm not a american made snob or anything. Its for sure worth checking out. The thing that bothers me on a jazzmaster is the switch goes left and right not up and down... that's really not that big of a deal. Get the 3 tone brust. The classic players jag is also very nice.

*Sick acre lake*
That is the coolest icon ever. Sifl and olly. Old school. Chester icon ha.

• Members

It's a very nice looking guitar. I'm still wondering if it would look better with a matching black headstock...

I suppose the tune-o-matic bridge is an improvement in stability over the traditionnal Jazzmaster bridge. I have a 2d hand MIJ Jazzmaster that was fitted with a Jaguar bridge and it's ok but but several people told me that original Jazzmaster bridge is really problematic (strings slipping easily on the side).

• Members
Why do you guys only buy black jazzmasters? Breaks my heart
:cry:

The sunburst is so pretty.

I thought about the sunburst one, my singer has a Japanese sunburst issue. It looks hottt, but the black with that pickguard makes it all stand out a little more. I thought about refinishing it in a white......I heart white guitars a lot.

• Members

I want a sunburst with a black pickguard :love:

I'm very interested in trying one of these out eventually. Jazzy wise, you can get this one for around $800, try to score Japanese on eBay or 2nd hand if your lucky, or the AVRI for $1,500. I'm all for buying MIA when possible, but $1,500 is alooottt for me

Archived