Wah pedals: What do you use and where does it sit in your chain?

thisISjoel

• Members

Title pretty much sums it up...

I have a Boss V-Wah which I run before my Zoom GFX-4 (which I'm currently looking to replace as some of you will already know from my other thread) I run through the effects loop on my Behringer V-Tone head which can get quite noisey and feed back on patches with distortion and delay (any idea's why?) but the overall sound is 100% better than going straight into the amps input. Just curious as to where people put their wah pedals (specifically before or after OD/Dist pedal). I find using my wah before the distortion limits the ''effect'' (for want of a better word) of the wah but I also find putting it before the distortion ''cuts'' the sound (again my vocab is letting me down) so that to my ears it's unusable there. The pedal also has built in distortions modelling classic pedals (it also models a bunch of classic wah sounds) but I find in the context of my set up using the onboard distortion causes a massive and undesirable spike in volume.

Anyway this is getting way too long winded...

Look forward to seeing peoples responses!

• Members

I've got a modded Dunlop GCB-95 sitting on the shelf, and a ZVex Wah Probe on my board. I use it more for filter effects than for wah sounds, though. My signal chain goes: Guitar>Fuzzes>Comp>Envelope Filters>Wah Probe>Phaser>OD>Modulation>Delay

• Members

I have a Teese Picture wah. First in my chain. Haven't tried this wah anywhere else. Usually, wah before dirt is best, but others have tried it successfully in other areas.

Do you have the wah then in the effects loop? I wasn't sure if you meant that or not. If so, take it out. Doesn't sound like the Zoom should be in the loop either - probably why you have that spike in volume.

I had the Boss wah, and it isn't the best, although it does have some cool effects in it. But as a wah, there are better.

• Members

My setup is boss into zoom into loop with guitar straight into amp input (if that makes sense) I haven't tride putting the boss between the guitar and the amp and leaving the zoom in the loop, might give it a go tomorrow, but I have found that the zoom definitely sounds better throough the loop (minus the nasty feedback I described when using delay wiith distortion) just this morning I was playing round with it and found the patches I like through the loop are horrible in front of the amp. Perhaps it is worth spending some time tomorrow trying to get some decent tones running guitar into boss into zoom into amp.

Anyays appriciate the input

• Members

SOme effects loop don't always sound that great. I stopped using mine, but I might try it again just for delay. On the Zoom, are using the patches that give you distortion? Or are you using it just for modulaiton (chorus, flanger etc). If you are using distortion and have it in the loop, that could be a problem. Not sure why it doesn't sound good out front - it seems like it should. Maybe time to go separate effects? Stay here long enough, and you probably will!

• Members

SOme effects loop don't always sound that great. I stopped using mine, but I might try it again just for delay. On the Zoom, are using the patches that give you distortion? Or are you using it just for modulaiton (chorus, flanger etc). If you are using distortion and have it in the loop, that could be a problem. Not sure why it doesn't sound good out front - it seems like it should. Maybe time to go separate effects? Stay here long enough, and you probably will!

I am using patches with distortion on the zoom through the loop...

Yeh I'd like to go the single effects route...but in the meantime I think I'll just try to get a decent sound running the pedals I have infront of the amp...

• Members

I've always ran wah at the very front of my chain. I was always of the impression that it needed to see the pickups first, and thus haven't tried moving it about. Because of the size it's also always sat beside my board, and I'm way to lazy to re-organise. The wah I have at the minute is a Keeley Vox Mellow wah, and it is by far my favourite that I've ever played, partly because it's so versatile. In the past I've had a Crybaby, which was never the most reliable....sometimes I would step on it and the sound would cut out; and also a Teese Wizard, which sounded great dirty but left a lot to be desired when clean.

• Members

first in chain

i have wh10 and whens its after dirt it has a massive volume boost and sounds bad.

i'm confused as frusciante's pedalboard clearly shows its dirt then wah

but it doesn't sound like it at all

the volume boost disappears though when its first.

• Members

first in chain

i have wh10 and whens its after dirt it has a massive volume boost and sounds bad.

i'm confused as frusciante's pedalboard clearly shows its dirt then wah

but it doesn't sound like it at all

the volume boost disappears though when its first.

i have had that question for years....i have a volume boost to but i like the sound when my wah is after my dirt...but i dont know how it works for him, i would like to know though.

Archived