replacing my g-major: what should i get?

vinnies

• Members

ouch...$1500, out of my league...looks like a nice unit tho.

Like peridot1 said, Rocktron stuff seems pretty good and the GT-10 would be the most flexible option in the "mid-budget" market.

Talking about floor units (and Rocktron) the Utopia series should be a good option too, although they don't offer the same flexibility of the GTs they seem to offer basically the same features of the Xpression for a decent price.

Don't know how they compare soundwise though (Utopia vs Xpression).

• Members

Like peridot1 said, Rocktron stuff seems pretty good and the GT-10 would be the most flexible option in the "mid-budget" market.

Talking about floor units (and Rocktron) the Utopia series should be a good option too, although they don't offer the same flexibility of the GTs they seem to offer basically the same features of the Xpression for a decent price.

Don't know how they compare soundwise though (Utopia vs Xpression).

i have a bunch of stuff at my feet already (chorus, wah, volume, expression, amp channel/bypass pedals, etc., on a homemade board), so i'm not looking to add to that mess if i can. i like the multi fx rack units just because of the flexibility of them - setting up clean presets, dirty presets, etc. i like delays, phasey choruses, harmonizing, so the g-major is good, just not reliable enough. some presets are louder than other even tho all the various volumes are the same and i have to have the g major off bypass to get some presets to work at full strength.

i should aslo add i have a boogie dc-5, so i'm not looking for a unit with distortion, just all the spacy stuff...thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

• Members

Not much to keep coming. Slim pickens in midrange rack units for what you're looking for. Too bad you can't afford the G-force.

true...someday. i was checking out the expression, looks comparable to the g major, we'll see...problem is i bought my g major used, so some of the issues i've been having aren't under warranty; i've already sent it to them once (cha-ching). i won't make that mistake again, buying new this time...

• Members

The G-Force is fantastic if you can go that far but something like the DigiTech GSP1101 is very nice as well. Great quality effects, good harmonizer and pitch shifter and as an added bonus you could omit your amp altogether, use an amp model and go straight to board or into your PC for recording.

• Members

Besides the GSP1101 there's the Line 6 and Boss "PRO" racks which go for $600+ and there's also the lower end market with things like the RFX-2200 and the S200 which I suppose you're not interested in (coming from a G-Major).

I can't remember of anything else on the 300-600 range...

• Members

And for peanuts you could try a second hand DigiTech Quad 4. Again great effects, up to 8 delays simultaneously at up to 5 seconds each, fantastic controllability by MIDI and the routing options are very similar to the G-Force, so you could for instance put a couple of effects in series and then two more in parallel with the series chain.

Archived