My DD-20 bit the dust last nigiht

flump

• Members

Well I was rearranging my board last night and when i plugged everything back in my dd-20 decided to just stop working. I am not very happy with it. On the contrary my DL-4 has been alive for 3 years now (knock on wood).

I'm debating about what to do. My dl-4 was positioned first in my chain...DD-20 was last and an Rv-3 somewhere in the middle. I think i'm just gonna put the DL-4 last, and keep the rv-3 where it is.

Just thought it was interesting that a one and a half year old dd-20 took a {censored} when my dl-4 is kickin ass.

• Members

It's being powered by a BBE supacharger, and yea the first thing i checked was the power supply...but i took the dd-20 out of my chain, and then switched power cables with 2 other pedals, and nothin. The thing won't even turn on.

Before anyone states the obvious yes there was something plugged into the input of the pedal.

I'm really not too happy about this.

• Members

Did you try to power the pedal with something other than the Supacharger? Try batteries or another supply...to make sure the pedal is/isn't fried.

I haven't tried batteries yet just because i don't have 6 AA's laying around my apartment at the moment. I might have to do that just to see if the dc jack on the back is the problem. I hope it is, and i can replace it because there's no way i'm running this thing off of batteries...i'll spend more on those in a year than just buying a new one.

• Members

Try the batteries before you freak out over the pedal. Sounds like the jack came loose on the inside if all you were doing is rearranging pedals. I've done worse to my DD20 and have had no issues.

• Members

Try the batteries before you freak out over the pedal. Sounds like the jack came loose on the inside if all you were doing is rearranging pedals. I've done worse to my DD20 and have had no issues.

Yea this would make sense, but I opened up the back of the pedal to see if there were any obvious loods pieces, and there weren't. The style of dc jack as well as the style of input/output quarter inch jacks make it almost impossible for them to come loose from the PCB to which they are directly mounted. It is possible that the inside of the DC jack is a little messed up though.

• Members

Yea after making this thread the count would have been dead DL-4's 8 bazillion, dead dd-20's 1.

I put batteries in it and it worked. I opened the back again, and i can't see any problems with the connections from the DC jack to the mini PCB that it sits on, or problems with the connections from the mini pcb to the main pcb via a ribbon cable. Obviously the DC jack has some issue, but I'm not sure where to get this specific style. I guess I'll have to look at ppp or something.

• Members

Yea after making this thread the count would have been dead DL-4's 8 bazillion, dead dd-20's 1.

I put batteries in it and it worked. I opened the back again, and i can't see any problems with the connections from the DC jack to the mini PCB that it sits on, or problems with the connections from the mini pcb to the main pcb via a ribbon cable. Obviously the DC jack has some issue, but I'm not sure where to get this specific style. I guess I'll have to look at ppp or something.

Ok, good to hear that it's not totally shot. Before sending it in, I'd use a multimeter (if you don't have one, you can get one for $10... always good to have) and see if you can find a short in the connection from the dc jack to the main board. DC jacks usually don't break, and if they do, it's pretty obvious that a lead is hanging or broke off or something.

• Members

Ok, good to hear that it's not totally shot. Before sending it in, I'd use a multimeter (if you don't have one, you can get one for $10... always good to have) and see if you can find a short in the connection from the dc jack to the main board. DC jacks usually don't break, and if they do, it's pretty obvious that a lead is hanging or broke off or something.

Yea I have a multimeter. I decided i'm going to unsolder the DC jack from the pcb and then hook a 9v adapter to the jack then use a multi to see if the little dc jack itself is the problem. If it is, then i'm just going to find another one. I have a feeling the problem is within the jack itself. Honestly if i get it working i'll probably just sell it anyway. I have no need for 3 delays...blasphemy in this forum I know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just decided I'd update this for anyone that actually looks. My DD-20 did not die...I'm just a moron.

Turns out only outputs 5 and 6 on the BBE supacharger will work for the DD-20, I'm guessing because of the current draw.

It did however make me realize how much more i like my DL-4 so the DD-20 is leaving my board for good.

Archived