OT: The OFFICIAL Mesa Tremoverb Lounge

dap99

• Members

Crxsh, the FX loop is a puzzle wrapped inside an enigma... I ended up putting everything through the front end of my ToV because I couldn't get it to run in 100% series, no matter what I tried...

I adored my ToV, it was my main amp from '95 to '04, I gave up on it eventually because I wanted something a little lighter that was easier to transport (and she scuffed one of the leather seats in the back of my car, like a bitch).

Not sure about you guys, but I did not think it took pedals too well, although with the versatility of the onbaord gain, this wasn't that much of an issue to me at the time... but, anyway, I felt it got compressed/squashed a little too soon regardless of the channel or amount of gain.

FWIW, I flipped the valves in mine for EL34's (in '98) and it sounded instantly better to me, tighter bottom end, more dynamic and pronounced in the mids.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, at the time it was rack effects that I had trouble with... I know where everything was supposed to go, etc, and it worked fine with the Triaxis I had at the same time, just the ToV loop was strange in it's working.

In fact, I ended up with the ToV in the center of a left and right Triaxis/Simul 290 set up (1 4x12 for the T0V and 2 2x12's each side for the Triaxis). The Triaxis rig handled all the mod/delay/reverb FX and I ran the ToV dry, but with a few pedals driving the front end.

Great rig, but 4 or 5 gigs after the roadies went out the budget I abandoned this particular setup. :idk:

Another slightly interesting point, I had a Mesa endorsement deal at the time and the Triaxis that I got from them came to me straight from Ed O'Brien from Radiohead... he'd been using it for a post The Bends, pre-OK Computer tour and it had all his presets still in it.

My tech at the time decided to do a 'clean install' of all my rig and did a factory re-install on the Triaxis! :mad:

2 gigs later, we're playing in Glasgow, I snap a string during a song, the same tech hands me my '68 SG Special... I strum a chord, notice something slightly amiss... play the notes singularly from high E down... gets to the A string and he's managed to tune it an OCTAVE up!! The minute I hit the string the machinehead went flying across the stage and hit the bass player on the back of the calf with considerable force!! :eek::mad:

I got into a mid gig fight with the techie in question who blamed the band playing too loud (3 Channels of pure Mesa on the go, you see).

We're still pals though, Just (clever Radiohead pun to finish a fascinating story...:bor:).

• Members

I've liked my TOV w/ pedals in front. DD-20, SMMH, RV-3 (back in the day - haven't used my new one), Tube Screamers, etc. The only thing that I notice is my Muff clone only sounds good on the clean channel. Sounds crappy on an already dirty channel. But on that clean channel :thu:

I haven't really tried any pedals in the loop. I've only tinkered a little w/ my Quadraverb in the loop and that's been a total of 30min, so I really can't say I know what's what yet. I think the FX loop on the TOV is parallel and I've read that some people hate it so the mod it to serial. I don't really know the difference so I'll have to google it.

I should get my amp back in a week or so and I hope to have it all set up shortly after.

• Members

Okay.... I figured out the FX loop -- took me a little bit, but I've got the hang of it now.

I was thinking back to my Dual Recto days and IIRC, there was a level control on the back marked Output, and it directly correlated with the FX loop (there was another one on the front that served as an overall level control as well). Anyway, remembering that got me to thinking about the Output knob on the front of this Rectoverb. I mean, with a master volume control on each channel and only a Mix knob on the back for the FX loop, that Output knob had to be there for something.

Sure enough (and this checks out with the product manual I just downloaded) "The Output control is also wired to the Effects Loop Return level control."

So, generally speaking, you want to mix in your FX at 100% and use the Output knob as a level control for the loop and use the master volume knobs to control the level of each channel.

Seems pretty basic now.... but when I was trying to play quietly last night, it wasn't making much sense.

So the DM-2 and Superdelay check out in the loop (sound good too) .... but it doesn't seem to like the RV-3 much. All I get is this booming feedback. :eek: Not good.

• Members

Love my Tverb - she ain't going anywhere:

Blondie2.jpg

Man, that teh secks! When I turned my combo into the 1/2 stack, the upcharge for the custom grille also includes your choice of vinyl. I really wanted to do orange or oxblood, but I just couldn't bring myself to do anything but the classic black :wuss:

• Members

Okay.... I figured out the FX loop -- took me a little bit, but I've got the hang of it now.

I hate to get all corksniffery but my triple recto seems to sound better with the FX loop defeated (and the "solo" and "output" level controls along with it)

• Members

I found the Recto 2x12's to be quite 'flabby' on the bottom end, not that tight... I was often tempted to convert mine to a half-open back but didn't have the nerve to do so...

FWIW, I didn't have any issue like this with the 4x12 Recto cabs I had.

• Members

I had a Mesa endorsement deal at the time and the Triaxis that I got from them came to me straight from Ed O'Brien from Radiohead... he'd been using it for a post The Bends, pre-OK Computer tour and it had all his presets still in it.

My tech at the time decided to do a 'clean install' of all my rig and did a factory re-install on the Triaxis!
:mad:

:facepalm: x999

• 9 months later...
  • Members

So, you sold the Nomad then? Top Hat that good?

I never bonded with the nomad. I always felt that channel 2 lacked the distinction I wanted out of it and the clean channel was way too mid heavy for my dirt boxes. The tophat is a totally different animal. It can do true cleans like the mesa, cop an ac30 vibe and when cranked the mids come out and it gets into bluesbreaker territory. Driving the bluesbreaker sound with a nice flat OD is sonic heaven IMO.

• Members

I never bonded with the nomad.

Never really warmed up to the one I had all that much either. It was okay I guess, but compared to the Rectoverb ... it was kinda weak. And not in a good way. :lol: The Vox is a much better contrast/companion.

• Members

Never really warmed up to the one I had all that much either. It was okay I guess, but compared to the Rectoverb ... it was kinda weak. And not in a good way.
:lol:
The Vox is a much better contrast/companion.

I really think that that's the reason it was discontinued. Most nomad users don't keep them for long because there are better mesa's and better amps in general. I'd rather have a 3 channel dual recto over that. More versatile IMO.

Archived