Have I Ever Mentioned How Much I Love Reading Harmony Central Reviews?

• Members

It's reviews like this that make me realize why maybe I should take some of these reviews with a grain of salt, and also how much I wish I could trip some people:

Product: Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz

Price Paid: USD 750.00 USED

Submitted 09/13/2006 at 04:17pm by Mark

Ease of Use : 10

This is definitely easy to use. I had some trouble with the battery compartment (it didn't say which direction to install the battery), but after some trial and error it was all sorted out. Talk about mojo!!!

Sound Quality : 10

The sound quality is pure heaven. Imagine a Big Muff. A Big Muff is made up of a circuit board which costs several dollars, and a lot of resistors, capacitors and chips, all of which together probably cost like 20 or 30 dollars. Then there's the case, another five dollars. Okay, so that seems like not a lot of components, pretty cheap, right? Well, when those components come together to make a Big Muff, you get some okay sounds. When they come together to make a Swollen Pickle (or any other Way Huge step effect) what you get is PURE MOJO! Now, some people will tell you that a Swollen Pickle is just a Big Muff with a different name and look. But they are wrong. The difference is MOJO.

The sound coming out of this thing is pure heaven. Imagine the fuzz sounds from Siamese Dream. Now cross that with the steel drum sounds from Sargent Pepper's (or whichever Beatles album has that) and add the flanger sound from Bold As Love (which I believe was an MXR "Eddie Van Halen" model, but I could be wrong). Mix them all together and you have the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Pure tonal bliss. Of course you won't get steel drum sounds, I just mean that as a metaphore for how good this sounds.

I'm using this with a PRS Goldtop, as well as a Fender reissue 50's Telecaster, running into a Barber Tone Press, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, FoxRox TZF Flanger, Red Wich Phaser, Analogman 808 Tube Screamer, Analogman King of Tone, Lovepedal Magic Boy, Skreddy Mayo, Liquid Sunshine, Klon Centaur, a DD-20 Delay (though that is only temporary until I find something better, preferrably boutique;
my mom said she would get me a new delay for Christmas
), into a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme.

I've been playing for nearly two years, so I'm not some n00b
extolling the virtues of whatever Zoom piece of garbage. I know good tone, and
my playing demands the best tones in the world

Overall Rating : 10

Overall I'd say it's a fantastic deal. I know some people might say I paid too much for it, but
they don't understand the importance of true tonal bliss
. I'd pay twice this much for the satisfaction of pure mojo fuzz. I have tried the Ramm's Head Big Muff, and it was good, but it just didn't sound as good bypassed. I like the way the Swollen Pickle mellows out the highs when it is bypassed. It's great for smoothing out the harsh high end of my PRS neck humbucker.

I'm getting some original songs together, and soon I will form a band. It is just a matter of gettign the right people together who understand my artistic vision. Check out my website:
and you can hear the Swollen Pickle on many songs. I would recommend this for anyone, except maybe for kids who think the POD is great tone. For everyone else, this is well worth the money for MOJO alone. I love looking at the green and yellow box on my pedalboard. It helps me make music. Even when it's not on, as I said, I think it improves my tone by mellowing out the harsh high end frequencies.

What can I say, the kid likes his mojo. I wish I knew the importance of true tonal bliss... Sorry, I just got a kick out of reading this.

Edit: I put some of my favorite lines in bold.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now cross that with the steel drum sounds from Sargent Pepper's (or whichever Beatles album has that) and add the flanger sound from Bold As Love (which I believe was an MXR "Eddie Van Halen" model, but I could be wrong)

Where's that facepalm smilie.

• Members

The sound coming out of this thing is pure heaven. Imagine the fuzz sounds from Siamese Dream. Now cross that with the steel drum sounds from Sargent Pepper's (or whichever Beatles album has that) and add the flanger sound from Bold As Love (which I believe was an MXR "Eddie Van Halen" model, but I could be wrong). Mix them all together and you have the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Pure tonal bliss. Of course you won't get steel drum sounds, I just mean that as a metaphore for how good this sounds.

Hendrix did not use an MXR 'EVH' pedal. Everyone knows Hendrix recorded all of Bold as Love using the Digitech John Mayer 'Womanpleaser' Signature OD.

• Members

Three of my favourites. I like witty ones.

Insane value for the money. 3 times the price for big name brands or custom stuff won't give much, if any, more in sound, I have used most of them over the years. These might not be hand wound by Zen masters, using magnets aged for 20 years buried in the garden, or be potted in bees wax drawn from a hive found in Leo's back yard, but they are damn good sounding pickups at a price you won't have to sell a kidney to afford.

Lil Texas 12-inch speaker installed in Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I'm very pleased with the sound. I pulled the stock Jensen (which wasn't bad)and put in the L'il Texas. It's louder (I was hoping for a little less efficiency so I could turn the volume past 4) and it sounds really great. I play rhythm in a band doing mostle "classic 60-70's" rock covers. I play clean with a Dan-Echo set very light in the mix, occasional chorus, and a clean boost pedal. I own a bunch of guitars but current favorites are Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH with the Seymour Duncans (read my review) and a Music Man Silhouette HSH. I haven't tried pushing this speaker to breakup, but find that it has nice articulation playing clean.
Are these people who claim to be running their amps at 8 to 10 the same ones who write letters to Penthouse telling about adventures of their enormous cocks?
If I'm running 5 on my amp, I'm overpowereing the drummer.

Product: Fulltone 70's Pedal

Price Paid: US $156

Submitted 05/29/2006 at 09:35pm by abuser

Ease of Use : 10

Possessed 3 knob version of hardcore fuzz. I turn the knobs & they turn back to where ever they were before because it thinks it sounded better that way, it doesn't listen to me even though I'm supposed to be its master & in a little way I get frightened of what it's thinking behind my back.

Sound Quality : 10

Fulltone's site says that this fuzz 'snarls & spits' which I can vouch for. When I opened the box it was very angry from being confined to such a small space & seemed to think I was the one who put it there. It sprayed a loogie right on my head. I did the usual tricks trying to get in the good books (You know like talk nice & offer to go down on it) but it stayed in the same mood for days, but I must admit that it has lightened up recently.

Reliability : 10

I would definitely trust this device, it gets very cross when people annoy me and throws itself at their heads. People think I was throwing it and wouldn't listen to me trying to warn them of its possessiveness.

Customer Support : 9

They knew this one was trouble, but didn't inform me of its spiratic behavior. When I sleep at night I can't help but keep an eye on it as it sits on the floor near my Marshall. I think it's trying to turn the other effects against me too, but I might just be a bit paranoid

Overall Rating : 10

It asked me for chicken drumsticks last night after midnight and now there's a big cocoon on the floor in my room. I'm going to have to clean some {censored} up I guess but I'm curious what's going on in there.

Archived