EHX Pulsar True Bypass?

joelbah

• Members

I have read very different things about this pedal all over the place. Is it true bypass or not?

There are also very mixed reviews about the sound quality. Anyone own one? What's the verdict?

Are you referring to the XO Stereo Pulsar, or the big box Pulsar?

• Members

I have the Stereo Pulsar and I am pretty sure it is true bypass. At the very least is does not require power to pass sound. Plus, it works very well, and sounds as analog as the next tremolo pedal. Very versatile, actually pretty small, and is very solid. Only thing I dislike is that the rate knob allows for very very fast cycles, which means moving the knob just a little changes the rate pretty dramatically. I usually use it for slow rates, and it can be difficult to dial in the rate to an existing beat.

• Members

I usually use it for slow rates, and it can be difficult to dial in the rate to an existing beat.

Yeah I am really picky about tempos etc. I love tremolos but it has always been a struggle for me to match tempo. It's still really difficult even though my band uses a click track for every song. Especially cause I like to dial in triplets sometimes.

• Members

you have to watch the depth on the xo... anything over 2'oclock is over max on most trem pedals, and can create phasing issues... many people just max the trem on the xo and don't realize "max' for most trems is only at 2 o'clock...

• Members

When I'm curious if an ehx pedal is true bypass, I go to their website (ehx.com) and view the manual (which is available for all of their pedals). The manual says something like, "hitting the foot switch engages true bypass mode." If it doesnt say anything about true bypass, then I assume it's not!

• Members

When I'm curious if an ehx pedal is true bypass, I go to their website (ehx.com) and view the manual (which is available for all of their pedals). The manual says something like, "hitting the foot switch engages true bypass mode." If it doesnt say anything about true bypass, then I assume it's not!

Why does that not mean it's true bypass?

• Members

Yes, when the manual says hitting the foot switch engages true bypass, it is true bypass. If the manual DOES NOT say anything about true bypass I assume it IS NOT. Exactly as I stated in the original post! :)

EHX is redoing some of their pedals to have true bypass and it seems that they have updated their manuals too. That's why I trust them for this info! ;)

• Members

Yes, when the manual says hitting the foot switch engages true bypass, it is true bypass. If the manual DOES NOT say anything about true bypass I assume it IS NOT. Exactly as I stated in the original post!
:)

EHX is redoing some of their pedals to have true bypass and it seems that they have updated their manuals too. That's why I trust them for this info!
;)

Haha ok, my bad. I misread your post. I thought you said you had checked the manual and it said that it was true bypass. Sorry for the confusion. I'll check it.

• Members

Regarding the second part of the OP, how does this compare to the big box one? Interested in one of these, really liked the big one, but it was big. And took a non-standard power supply I don't have.

Really need a new trem, but I struggle to believe the Empress and the Red Witch are three times as good as my old Pulsar was.

Archived