I'm Fat.

seifukusha

• Members

AFAIK, it is completely possible to get all your aminos w/ a Vegan diet. But I'll have to respectfully disagree w/ eating veal and fois gras, but to each his own.

I'm sure you're a healthy dude. IMHO the only thing extreme about veganism is the choice of an animal free diet and lifestyle. Extreme is one word to choose, but it's different than say eating one meal a day - that's extreme to me.

Its possible yes. But you have to work a lot harder to do it. Meat contains them all in one package. You have to find a lot of different sources to get them otherwise.

The part that I don't understand is denying yourself much of what is good in cuisine. There is good vegan food, but most vegans I know just aren't fans of food. Like they can't even cook a vegetable well. To each their own though. I love eating good food.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I didn't know you canucks called it that, lol. But good for you man! Everyday at the gym...
:thu:

Oh yes, we like to speak proper English :D Gotta cut down on the pop :D

...DSquared, don't even worry - I'm at least as big as you dude. And hell, I put my picture up on my band's website; the server hasn't buckled under my weight yet. So I guess it's not that bad :cool:

• Members

I recently lost 30 pounds. I made a New Years resolution to loose weight and I did it. I started by joining Weight Watchers online. Then I started working out on an elliptical machine in a gym and lifting some girly weights.

I'm 51 years old and I was in fantastic shape back in my 30's but I let myself flab out. I've never been into sports, but I like to be active. I tend to have a pretty bad sugar/carb addiction. When you think about it, we really don't need that much food to maintain a normal weight.

I few things I found that helped besides the usually clich

• Members

The weight loss formula is fairly simple folks - lower your caloric intake and increase your physical activity level, and you will lose weight.
:idea:

+1 million, although lowering your calorie intake isn't important unless you're already eating way more than you need. Start running, and I mean really running. Work yourself up to 5 miles in under 40 minutes. Hit the weights, too. Exercise is actually far, far more important than diet. I eat whatever I feel like but I work out a lot, and I"m in good shape. High level athletes often eat upwards of 10,000 calories a day. The number one thing you have to do to lose weight is to learn to ENJOY strenuous exercise. If you hate sweating and working hard, it's going to be a tough battle. Find a way to work out that you enjoy!

• Members

You gotta get pissed at yourself, dude. That always works.

I used to weigh almost 300 pounds, now I'm down to 168. Cardio 6 days a week, 45 minutes one day and 20 the other. Put some Man With No Name movies or some Kung Fu on and go at it! Works wonders.

Plus, change your diet if need be. Don't eat garbage. Its really not that hard, and you'll be surprised how fast it'll come off.

• Members

If you do choose to run. Get some good shoes and hope to god you dont get runners knee or shin splints.

I dont know why but ive ran now for about 2 years without a problem but one day my knee started throbbing and practically felt like it was going to buckle under pressure. Me and my knees dont get along very well. I was a goaltender in ice hockey for about 10 years or so, that probably had an affect on it.

• Members

Find a way to work out that you enjoy!

:hump:

+1 on what frankiej said about running and shins/knees. I got bad shin splints from running on concrete in old airwalks (no cushioning). After a year of that I'm only now recovering, and that was about 5 years ago.

• Members

I love climbing. My family is currently building a house, and we're putting a 28ft rockwall in. My Dad designed the house plan himself, and we ended up with room to put a full rockwall in. We got a ton of rock holds a while back at REI on clearance for cheap. We'll still need more to finish the wall, but we have a really good start.

We've rock climbed for years, and have plenty of gear for it. It's a great source of exercise, and seriously makes you strong without bizarre muscle growth.

Join a climbing gym and start going regularly. It's not really that much money, and it's a ton of fun - especially with friends.

Wow, that would be awesome! that would... I don't even know. just awesome.

yeah man. rock climbers = strong forearms, strong backs, strong shoulders, and just general lean-ness of the body. Biceps and such come as well if you do a lot of topping out. Rock climbing is super fun - me and my friends go almost everyday.

Anti, I'm curious. what do you climb? I'm much more of a bouldering guy myself (I get scared when I'm super high up top roping... LOL), and can generally do V3's and such. around there. working on V4's.

• Members
Well, this thread has gotten me motivated so I started hitting the gym yesterday. I swear, I feel like I can already see some progress! but maybe it's just mental...

greg3.jpg

Awesome! Way to put one foot in front of the other. :thu:

Make sure to not overdo it the first week or so though. Just have fun with it and start getting used to making it a part of your daily routine. That's the key for long term success.

• Members

If you do choose to run. Get some good shoes and hope to god you dont get runners knee or shin splints.

I dont know why but ive ran now for about 2 years without a problem but one day my knee started throbbing and practically felt like it was going to buckle under pressure.

unpossible!! Running makes your joints impervious to damage!

• Members

If you can't get into it for exercise sake, it helps to have some friends to do it with. In that situation, you're not just going out to get exercise, you're going out to do something with your friends, maybe a hike, maybe a little tennis or basketball.

The point is, you're getting the exercise almost as an afterthought.

Don't be discouraged, Since 34, I've let the pounds creep up, and I'm trying to get started on beating them back.

Thing is, I used to be very athletic, weights, soccer, some football, track, ski instructor. Lifestyle changes, injuries, taking care of an ailing parent, it'll creep up on you if you slow down.

Archived