Eventide Time Factor warning - update

Mesa4x12er2

• Members

Have you contacted eventide about it?

Isn't it possible to try to make it work again with an earlier update?

I sent an e-mail.

and if your unit is working you can go back to old software or do a master reset. However mine now only turns on for 2 secs and then back off. Computer will not recognize it, and then button sequence for the reset does not register. It is definately bricked.

• Members

I sent an e-mail.

and if your unit is working you can go back to old software or do a master reset. However mine now only turns on for 2 secs and then back off. Computer will not recognize it, and then button sequence for the reset does not register. It is definately bricked.

Ouch.

I hope there's an easy fix for that...

• Members

I'll stick to multiple Boss pedals.

Computer stuff and I don't get on at the best of times.

+13098764

i avoid anything that has to be updated or the like...messing with the innards of expensive pedals could only lead to disaster with me

• Members

I find it funny how ONE person has a problem when doing an update and all the sudden the Timefactor turned into a DL-4 in everyone's eyes. I must admit that since I haven't updated my TF I'm curious to see how it turns out for the OP. One dude having trouble doesn't equal unreliable digital crap.

Like I said, I'm curious how it all turns out.

• Members

I find it funny how ONE person has a problem when doing an update and all the sudden the Timefactor turned into a DL-4 in everyone's eyes. I must admit that since I haven't updated my TF I'm curious to see how it turns out for the OP. One dude having trouble doesn't equal unreliable digital crap.

Like I said, I'm curious how it all turns out.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the Timefactor is a POS like the DL-4. It's a good pedal - all i'm pointing out is that complex digital gear is quite a bit more unreliable than most other gear. If something goes wrong with an analog effect, it's usually easily fixed. At most needing to replace a component. When you have something like the timefactor, that's basically a mini computer, you can end up with issues that are impossible to fix.

• Members

While I agree that digital gear can be impossible to fix depending on the problem I don't neccessarily think that makes it less reliable... just not fixable. In the context of playing live I've had just as many analog pedals act up as I have digital. And regardless of what's wrong with the pedal my only option is to remove it from the chain. Granted an analog pedal might more easily be fixed after the fact but once again, that doesn't make it more reliable on stage.

• Members

While I agree that digital gear can be impossible to fix depending on the problem I don't neccessarily think that makes it less reliable... just not fixable. In the context of playing live I've had just as many analog pedals act up as I have digital. And regardless of what's wrong with the pedal my only option is to remove it from the chain. Granted an analog pedal might more easily be fixed after the fact but once again, that doesn't make it more reliable on stage.

+ a gazillion

I run a few systems, one is an all analog board,

one is a complicated rack and

the third is a laptop running guitar rig.

The percentage of crapping out is:

1/3 of the time laptop, mostly because of ASIO drivers.

1/3 of the time rack, i.e. Harmonizers shut down or act weird, because of extreme temperature or humidity

1/3 of the time all analog board, broken switches etc.

the key to this is: backup, backup, backup :cop:

• Members

True. Good point.

I just like reliable gear. I hate having to stop and mess around with something to fix it.

That's one of the big reasons I like solid state amps. They're built like tanks, and always work. There's not worrying about tubes, or anything like that. You just turn it on, and it always works.

:idk:

• Members

True. Good point.

I just like reliable gear. I hate having to stop and mess around with something to fix it.

That's one of the big reasons I like solid state amps. They're built like tanks, and always work. There's not worrying about tubes, or anything like that. You just turn it on, and it always works.

:idk:

I hear where you're coming from!

I look at digital gear as being like ss amps. They're just as reliable as anything else but when they break often there is no fix.

Archived