Joe Walsh pedal picture w/James Gang 1971

gillibi

• Members

If someone can blow up this pic and make it clear we can see what his overdrive pedal was......this is a screen shot from a "Pro Vid" torrent on the Traders Den of the James Gang in France, July 1971, just a couple months after "Live in Concert" was filmed.

PDVD_031.jpg

• Members

If someone can blow up this pic and make it clear we can see what his overdrive pedal was......this is a screen shot from a "Pro Vid" torrent on the Traders Den of the James Gang in France, July 1971, just a couple months after "Live in Concert" was filmed.

PDVD_031.jpg

Could very well just be an on/off for the Echoplex or something to do with a Leslie.:idea:

• Members

Could very well just be an on/off for the Echoplex or something to do with a Leslie.
:idea:

Echoplex maybe, Leslie no......he was only using the Leslie for the B3 at this time. A year down the road he started using it on guitar for the Barnstorm stuff.

• Members

Who says it has to be a fuzz or drive?

No one did. But We're talking 71' here. Other than OD and Fuzz, there were wah's and Univibes, octave pedals, and not much else in pedal format unless you get into random one offs like Roger Mayer had been making for Jimi up until 1970.

• Members

Ah, I love the James Gang, and Walsh is one of my favorite guitarists. Some of the recordings I've heard definitely have a Tonebender-ish sound to them, but Joe has been tweaking his gear since the beginning.

I read an interview with him somewhere about the gear he used with the James Gang, I'll see if I can dig it up.

• Members

I saw The James Gang back then, even got to meet Joe backstage. I know for sure he had an Echoplex, because on the last number he played a riff and while it was looping, he took the guitar off, set it down on the floor, and the band walked off stage with the riff still going. After the stoned out crowd went wild he came back, picked up the still-repeating guitar and launched back into the song. Back then, no one had ever seen anything like that - very cool!

• 10 years later...