Automotive Bailout? are they friggin' kidding?

jorhay1

• Members

Will it suck, yes. Is it the only real way that things will be totally better, I believe so. At least as much as nobody seems to offer any other solutions.

What boggles my mind is that there are tax evasion laws being broken to felony extremes on Wall Street right now and the feds are literally turning a blind eye because, and this is congress that is saying this, it would be too financially dangerous to enforce the law. Give me a {censored}in' break.

They had a failed business model. If I just stopped paying my bills and my credit cards off should I expect a few hundred k to bail me out? You know what I'd do with it? Just what the company execs are: take the money and run.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You just don't seem to understand the severity of this.In 1932 we had 14% unemployment and that was considered the great depression. Now double that figure. You do the math.

sustaining companies, with taxpayer $, while said companies do nothing but fail is just plain stupid. the fallout is predictable, dont expect me to get riled about it now, i've been waiting for years.

• Members

perhaps vw should get some prize money for having a 50+mpg car on the market/roads for 20+ yrs? there was mountains of room for US-based improvement aside from alterna fuels, and they passed on that as well and gave us the Escalade instead. {censored} them.

Agreed. I would not bail out a GM company that recently ramped up production of the SUV at their plant in Arlington, TX as soon as the friggin gas prices went down.

:freak:

• Members

You just don't seem to understand the severity of this.In 1932 we had 14% unemployment and that was considered the great depression. Now double that figure. You do the math.

where in the world did you hear that unemployment could reach 28%

i read that if gm goes under it could push unemployment as high as 9.5%

• Members

where in the world did you hear that employment could reach 28%

i read that if gm goes under it could push unemployment as high as 9.5%

Will it stop their though? This is a high-stakes game of dominos, too much momentum and we are all gonna get {censored}ed in the ass. This would fall into the necesary evil catagory of Wallstreet IMO. I just hope that in a few years when the dust settles people wake the {censored} up. Hard to believe they had achieved 50+ mpg back in 1981 since most American car manufacturers brag about anything over 30+ highway..........

*EDIT* is their a website source with the MPG statistic? that would be a great read.

• Members

Agreed. I would not bail out a GM company that recently ramped up production of the SUV at their plant in Arlington, TX as soon as the friggin gas prices went down.

:freak:

:mad:

why would they ramp up production if they're having trouble moving what's on the car lots right now. if this is true than there is no better evidence that this company doesn't belong in business. their short sightedness is astounding.

• Members

Does nothing if not prove how stupid the American Consumer is.

GM is also placing a high-stakes bet on its SUV line overseas, opening a new $300 million plant Friday near St. Petersburg, Russia.

The plant will produce GM SUVS, the Chevrolet Captiva and Opel Antara, which have become status symbols in Russia, reported Edmunds.com.

Chevrolet is the sales champion in Russia, with 190,553 cars sold last year alone, allowing GM to claim a 10.9 percent market share there.

:cop:

• Members

Will it stop their though? This is a high-stakes game of dominos, too much momentum and we are all gonna get {censored}ed in the ass. This would fall into the necesary evil catagory of Wallstreet IMO. I just hope that in a few years when the dust settles people wake the {censored} up. Hard to believe they had achieved 50+ mpg back in 1981 since most American car manufacturers brag about anything over 30+ highway..........

*EDIT* is their a website source with the MPG statistic? that would be a great read.

its the 81 diesel rabbit i'm thinking of, which evolved into the golf a few yrs later. not like it was anything "special," except for solid minimalist build and great mpg. iirc, the 87ish i had got 54. spoiled me for life. they are seeing 69mpg w/hybrid now.

• Members

its the 81 diesel rabbit i'm thinking of, which evolved into the golf a few yrs later. not like it was anything "special," except for solid minimalist build and great mpg. iirc, the 87ish i had got 54. spoiled me for life. they are seeing 69mpg w/hybrid now.

Add to the fact that the total negative footprint on the environment is worse for a hybrid (nickel mining for the battery) than for a standard.

And the fact that a hybrid will not save you money in gas over the lifetime of the car when you factor in initial cost and higher maintenance costs for those engines versus the same car with a standard engine.

Better technology exists, but it's just not being used because we're too stupid to hold megacorps accountable. The only way we can hold them accountable is let them fall now that they've finally {censored}ed up enough.

• Members

These genius companies had a chance with the ev-1 but destroyed them all and pushed the hummer. now they are tanking. boo-hoo.

i say give bail out money to Tesla and Zap (the cars not the bands)

and let these crooks go spend their pensions and bonus's on some island somewhere while their companies go the way of 8 track tape

(oh, sorry bout the semi-political thread)

If that pisses you off, this will enrage you...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1993448

• Members

And the fact that a hybrid will not save you money in gas over the lifetime of the car when you factor in initial cost and higher maintenance costs for those engines versus the same car with a standard engine.

i don't think these cars have been out long enough to pass judgment on there long term maintenance costs. I've got a lot of faith in Toyota to make good quality vehicles. i don't doubt that the labor costs to work on them are higher but as far as reliability goes we shall see.

• Members

Add to the fact that the total negative footprint on the environment is worse for a hybrid (nickel mining for the battery) than for a standard.

Better technology exists, but it's just not being used because we're too stupid to hold megacorps accountable. The only way we can hold them accountable is let them fall now that they've finally {censored}ed up enough.

well yeah, i'm not in favor of hybrid, but the idea of 70mpg as a standard should be chased. folks act like 35mpg is efficient :rolleyes:

bring the teslas/etc, let the competition heat up.

• Members

Environmental impact of hybrids aside, what I don't get is that you can't hardly get one nowadays. THAT's the car people want, and the auto industry has been ramping up SUV production. They should be making more hybrids. And wiis. How come they can't just start making wiis. We can't get enough of them either.

• Members

I have to agree on this one. I don't think the auto industry should get a public bailout. It will only postpone the inevitable. The US auto companies cannot continue to function in the long run.

They didn't make small fuel-efficient cars, but it's not because their management is stupid. It's because the profit margins on small cars is much lower than the margins on big SUV's and trucks, and there's no way they could build a car with the same quality as a Toyota or Honda, and still sell it as cheap as a foreign car. Foreign auto companies build their cars in the US in non-Union shops, and have far lower labor costs than US car companies. The US car companies have contracts with the labor unions that they can't break, and the unions have made it clear they won't be making any concessions to help bail out the car makers.

There are only two ways the US can continue to manufacture cars and stay profitable. Either they have to break the UAW, or they have to find a way to force foreign car companies to increase wages and organize their workers. I don't see any chance of either of these happening, so the only other option is to let them go bust. Throwing money at it will not make this problem go away.

If that pisses you off, this will enrage you...

There's no long term future in NiMH technology. It's already less efficient than Lithium Ion, and that's not a long term solution either.

I also don't see anything particularly suspicious about oil companies buying other energy technologies. They aren't stupid. They know that oil won't last forever, and they're preparing for the future. They don't even call themselves "oil companies" any more. They call themselves "energy companies".

Did you know that British Petroleum is one of the world's largest producers of solar panels?

• Members

There's no long term future in NiMH technology. It's already less efficient than Lithium Ion, and that's not a long term solution either.

I also don't see anything particularly suspicious about oil companies buying other energy technologies. They aren't stupid. They know that oil won't last forever, and they're preparing for the future. They don't even call themselves "oil companies" any more. They call themselves "energy companies".

Did you know that British Petroleum is one of the world's largest producers of solar panels?

Lithium Ion technology is incredibly expensive. So are solar panels (wonder why?...they've been on the market since the 70's).

I do see something suspicious about oil companies buying alternative energy patents...especially when said oil company sits on those patents for as long as {censored}ing possible without any development being done.

• Members

Lithium Ion technology is incredibly expensive. So are solar panels (wonder why?...they've been on the market since the 70's).

I do see something suspicious about oil companies buying alternative energy patents...especially when said oil company sits on those patents for as long as {censored}ing possible without any development being done.

Solar panels are expensive because solar cells are expensive. The manufacturing technology is essentially the same as for other semiconductors, except that you only get one solar cell from a single silicon wafer, instead of dozens of IC's or hundreds of transistors. Dye-sensitized solar cells may change that, though. They are only about 1/3 as efficient as conventional thin-film cells, so a panel would have to be much larger to produce the same voltage and current, but they're much less expensive to make. Many industry insiders are predicting that DSC's will finally make solar electricity production competitive with fossil fuels on a cost basis.

BTW, the most recent of those patents you cited was granted in 2006 on an application filed in 2002, and is for a hydrogen fuel cell. They applied for another patent for a hybrid fuel cell in 2003, and it was granted just last month (patent 7,435,492). Obviously, they ARE continuing to research this because they continue to apply for and receive new patents, and it's been years since the Ovonic Corporation was originally acquired by GM, then Texaco, then Chevron. They aren't buying these patents. They have been, and continue to invent them.

Archived