OT: Coldplay sued by Joe Satriani

fruvai

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Good point. Probably not. Okay, how about the next 10 years?

My wife and I are arguing over this one. She likes the Satriani song, and I can't stand it. She thinks Coldplay stole it, and she's even a Coldplay fan. I just feel that Satriani's ego is getting in the way of his creativity.
If he had any more juice left in him, he would have taken this opportunity to write a killer hit single - but he won't, because he can't, so it's easier for him to sue Coldplay, which is sad.

He's also currently in Chickenfoot with Sammy Hagar. :facepalm:

• Members

You guys are familiar with the idea that if you don't defend your copyrights you lose them, right?

This is as much about showing that Satriani will protect his work from infringement as it is about anything else.

You can't be mad about this. It's exactly what the courts are for.

He's also suing a band that's perfectly capable of defending themselves. It's not like he's suing your favorite local rock band so they can't play anymore.

• Members
coldplay is screwed on this one. but why the Satch wait this long to sue them? right when they get nominated for a grammy?

He's going to get a lot of people looking at his albums now, and possibly liking them, so it's great for publicity. And maybe he just heard it? :rolleyes:

• Members

i would bet there is some classical piece and/or 40's era jazz standard that use's that same boring cycle of forths chord progression with a similar melodic content.

when i was in college, everybody wrote a song like that at least once

watch coldplay's lawyers dig something up

it is such a basic piece of music

• Members

licensed?!

which idiot gave them the rights to use that. Every time I play that riff on synths everyone's like OMG coldplay.

It pisses me off.

:idk:

I like it. I liked it a lot more when I listened to Coldplay more than I do currently, but I like it as a song. Nice vibe to it...

Archived