OT: Coldplay sued by Joe Satriani

fruvai

• Members

I'd say the newer prints will mention him in the credits and they will have to pay a {censored} load of cash.

well that means the original ones will be worth a bit more, sorry i have to use a rap reference but when Pharoahe Monch released his first album Internal Affairs, he didn't get a license to use the godzilla theme in his song Simon Says and they just took the album completely off the market.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Viva La Vida was actually the first Coldplay song I'd heard that left me cold. It's catchy, but it's so soapy I could bathe a labrador in it. The Satriani song is 10X soapier.

Soapy :D

I think I was just impressed how they played the song live on SNL. It's nice to see something fresh from bands these days. Not your basic guitars, bass, drums formula.

• Members

wait does this mean, if satriani wins, there going to have to take the new coldplay album off the market?

If that happens, Viva La Vida will become this huge phenomenon, and it will give Coldplay even more notoriety. Satriani needs to change his name to Salvatore Accardo II, the second most bitter composer in music history.

• Members
Hey man, I'm just pulling your leg.

I don't mean to insult you or any Coldplay fans. I think they are great musicians and are lucky enough to stay in the music business this long after the song "Yellow". (I think marrying G. Paltrow helped)
;)

Defining bands from 2000? IMHO, Coldplay was a U2, Radiohead influenced (I won't be surprised , if they started as a U2, RH cover band). They picked up where U2 and Radiohead left off. When both bands went "experimental and whatnot". Coldplay took that and sold it back to the masses successfully and became as big as the band that they tried to emulate. For that I'll give them credit (or their record label and management).

I tried to like them, I went out with someone who liked them and have all their cd's, but all I heard was U2, Radiohead, U2, Radiohead. There's nothing wrong about getting influenced by other bands, but making something "your own" is a hard thing to do. That's where creativity kicks in.

I can say the same thing about John Mayer, but that's a another threads worth of bitching.
:D

I listen to Radiohead (my favorite band) and some U2 as well,

but what I like about Coldplay is their pure simplicity, melodiousness, and style.

[YOUTUBE]LvT3stjBSrE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]OoqAi8OJ9T0[/YOUTUBE]

I'm also a fan of John Mayer's work too.

[YOUTUBE]WEgUUTkqRRQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

BTW, I talked a lot of trash in this thread;

so for the record I have to say that if Coldplay are proven (or confess) to have consciously and intentionally ripped off Satriani's melody, then I believe that Satriani's lawsuit is well-justified and he deserves to win it, and that Coldplay need to have their asses kicked for not giving him due credit.

Most of my trash-talk comes from the feeling that Coldplay probably have never even heard Satriani's song before, like I've never heard it, and that the melody and chord progression are basic and archetypal to pop music. I would wager that someone else in the history of pop music has already used that chord progression with a similar melody long before Satriani. Composers who live in glass houses should be careful about throwing stones.

• Members

Like him, or not, Joe Satriani has had influence in music.

As a premier guitar teacher, he has had impact on Metallica, Testament, Primus, Whitesnake, Frank Zappa, The David Lee Roth Band, Exodus, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, et all.

He has also had a hit with: Summer Song (also featured in a Nascar game, when video games were new to this kind of thing).

He recommended Steve Morse to Deep Purple, and played on the star-studded Alice Cooper album, Hey Stoopid.

As an Ibanez endorser for over twenty years, he has helped sell his share of gear.

I'm not blowing sunshine up his ass, I'm just saying...

• Members

I used t be a Satch fan in the early 90's. I even saw him around '95, but I lost interest after Surfing with an Alien. I think that "always with me, always with you" is a great melodic track, with crappy tone. I also think that he should win this one.

[YOUTUBE]F4fPv450OYM[/YOUTUBE]

Someone above posted that Coldplay might become more popular than ever after this lawsuit. I have a feeling they will.

• Members

So, it took Joe Satriani that long to hear this song?

You are assuming a suit would be filed on the day the song hit the radio? Lawsuits generally don't work like that. I am sure there was some discussion between the parties before this happened. Bank on it.

• Members

Cold play will lose this one as The Beatles did with "Come Together" vs. Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me" and George Harrison did with "My Sweet Lord" vs. The Chiffons "He's So Fine".

The Coldplay song is much more of a blatant rip off than the above two songs were.

Music can be a rough business.

• Members

They are boned.

It did sound pretty cool with both of them together though.

Hate coldplay anyhow...

Then again you can only play so many progressions. Ive had like little back tracking that i came up just to solo over that sound like riffs from songs ive never heard before (people point them out to me).

• Members

yes, it does matter. If one melody shares 5 notes in common with another melody, it's completely different than if it shares 200. Otherwise, everyone would get sued everytime they released an album. Now, if a song
sampled
those 5 notes, it's a completely different situation. But that's clearly not the case here, so stop splitting hairs and making manslaughter analogies.

All I'll say is I'm glad you're not my copyright lawyer.

Archived