OT: Coldplay sued by Joe Satriani

fruvai

• Members

He lost, cause big business always wins.

That'd be irrelevant in this case, since Coldplay and Satch are both on huge labels (EMI and Epic respectively) owned by two of the largest companies on the planet.

Businesses don't come much bigger than General Electric and Sony. In fact, they probably wield more power than most governments.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are both god awful songs so who gives a {censored}. If I were Satriani, I would be trying to distance myself from such hideous noise not accepting blame for inflicting it on the world.

Seriously though, I think you could very well compose music which has such a simple chord structure and hit on pretty much the same tune. It is a long shot but it could be coincidence.

• Members

it probably was a coincidence. But it's the melody that's copyrighted, not the chord progression. There are a zillion songs with that same progression, but it's what you do with the melody that makes it unique. In fact, I wrote a progression a couple of months ago and when a friend asked me to transcribe a Jason Mraz song, I realized it was the same progression, verse and chorus that I wrote a couple of months ago. Needless to say, I nearly wanted to shoot myself. {censored} happens, and as long as it wasn't intentional I say who cares. Then again, I'm not looking at a big fat paycheck.

Oh, and I love the Satch, and don't sound anything like him ??? He's got chops up the ass for blues/rock stuff. I don't get why people hate music they don't like, it's okay not to like something, but to degrade it and think it's not worthy of existing is a little strange to me. Aren't we all musicians with different aspirations and styles?

• Members

coldplay is about as original as plugging a tele into a DMM into a vox and then posting pictures of it on the internet.

Nice one. :phil:

As the guy above me said, this isn't about the chord progression, it's the melody. There are a lot of progressions that are used on a plethora of songs. Pretty much every way you can fit together 3-4 chords and make it coherent and catchy to the general public has been taken. I agree that the melodies are very similar at some places, but it is a pretty logical melody over a pretty standard progression, so it could have been a coincidence. That being said, I'm not sure if I'm willing to give Coldplay the benefit of doubt, given their previous plagiarism-accusations.

• Members

That's why I'm glad I write songs with other people now. Me and the bass player are always playing two entirely different things, it's pretty much impossible to rip (or inadvertently rip) other people off that way.

But then I refuse to rip myself off.

I hate both Coldplay and Satriani - the tone deaf bastard. They are both talentless wanks in their own ways. I wouldn't be surprised if Coldplay produces a 30 year old song and say "we ripped this one off".

• Members

I guess sometimes people come up with the same thing just at different times:idk:
Dani California is the same chord progression, played the same way, written about a similar subject as Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty and I think the same guy produced both songs:facepalm: (my first facepalm)

• Members

I guess sometimes people come up with the same thing just at different times:idk:

Dani California is the same chord progression
, played the same way, written about a similar subject as Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty and I think the same guy produced both songs:facepalm: (my first facepalm)

It's not , it's slightly different.

Dani California = Am - G - Dm

Mary Jane's Last Dance = Am - G - D

• Members

god this satriani guy is a douche and a half. it really doesn't get any more pathetic than suing over something like that

it makes no sense either. every pop song has that level of similarity to others. and the melody is so simple and obvious. if you played that chord progression to ten people one of them would probably come up with the same thing

and besides WHO CARES?! a bit of melody like that has no particular musical value to anyone in itself. when you hear it in one song it means one thing and when you hear it in another one it means something else. otherwise people would probably have given a {censored} about satriani's song

i'm not even a coldplay fan, but this is just incredibly uncool

Archived