OT: Coldplay sued by Joe Satriani

fruvai

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Explain?

well, the openings sound similar (not just to me, but lots of people have commented on this). since the rhythm/progression is more unique in reckoner/la ritournelle, it seems more odd that it sounds so similar. Coldplay's stuff, on the other hand, is very straightforward and mainstream, so it's not surprising that someone else out there has a melody that sounds similar to a part of one of their songs.

[YOUTUBE]Gu1fTcGdS8A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]rOoCixFA8OI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
They also stole from Kraftwerk:

http://coldplaystolefromkraftwerk.ytmnd.com/

:facepalm:

:facepalm: they personally asked kraftwerk to use the riff.

anyway, i still dont think its difficult to come up with the same melody, that progression is so cliche etc. not to say they didnt, i dont care. i used to love coldplay i just cant seem to like the new album. i dont see the reason for them to have to copy it, not sure if they really listen to satriani, but who cares.

• Members
Trademark? For what, though? You can't really trademark sound recordings unless you're using it as some kind of audio logo, e.g. the Intel bing-boong-BONK sound.

Unless! He sues them for infringing on his SIGNATURE TOAN
:idea:

what I'm saying is that usually trademark infringement cases have a better chance of succeeding than a copyright infringement case. A song could be considered a trademark, if you can prove that it's a key song that people recognize you by. Then you can say that Coldplay infringed on something that is easily identifiable with you and benefited themselves or damaged you because of the association. It's still hard to prove, and I'm not saying that Satriani has that option here. I'm just saying that if he did have that option, he'd have a chance. You can't just walk into court and say "listen to this verse, see how it sounds similar to this other song...now give me money."

• Members

I'm willing to give Coldplay the benefit of the doubt, because it's quite likely that they never heard Satch's song. They certainly don't sound like they've taken much inspiration from Satch in general. Satch's musical influence is very much limited to people who sound about the same as he does.

But the vocal melody and guitar melody are identical to the point where coincidence is incredibly unlikely. It's not in any way a stretch for Satch to cry foul.

• Members

what I'm saying is that usually trademark infringement cases have a better chance of succeeding than a copyright infringement case. A song could be considered a trademark, if you can prove that it's a key song that people recognize you by. Then you can say that Coldplay infringed on something that is easily identifiable with you and benefited themselves or damaged you because of the association. It's still hard to prove, and I'm not saying that Satriani has that option here. I'm just saying that if he did have that option, he'd have a chance. You can't just walk into court and say "listen to this verse, see how it sounds similar to this other song...now give me money."

Personally I think the likelihood of Satriana winning through a copyright infringmentt of his melody and arrangement is greater than if he stretched it to a trademark infringement (specifically because Satriani probably owns a documented copyright on his song, and probably does not own a trademark on it and would have to prove first use), but I'm not a lawyer, and I guess time will tell if he succeeds.

If the aforementioned quote from a member of Coldplay (wherein they state they are unoriginal plaigarizers, however facetious they intended the statement to be) is real, that could be a pretty good piece of evidence for intent.

In the end though, you're right, it's a nebulous field and it's basically up to how the judge feels about it.

• Members

I'll tell you what needs to happen. Someone needs to find out what song Satriani stole it from. There's gotta be at least two or three.

Ahaha we'll find out he stole it from someone else who stole it from someone who stole it from bach but then it'll be okay because copyright laws don't protect music that old.

• Members

If the aforementioned quote from a member of Coldplay (wherein they state they are unoriginal plaigarizers, however facetious they intended the statement to be) is real, that could be a pretty good piece of evidence for intent.

It is real, although Chris is talking about X&Y specifically about the track White Shadows but also refering to the whole album.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=88936

Go down to the song White Shadows and click on listen to hear chris talk about it.

• Members
Well you know I think we've all done it. Written something that sounded cool then listened to it later and realized it was another song or part of it.

It happens. Many years ago, my band had just finished recording an album - completed and mastered, but not yet released. Between the time we completed it and got the first batch of production copies, a major band released their new album; one of their songs had the exact same signature guitar line as one of ours - absolutely identical.

Now, I know that there's no way I could have heard what they did before I wrote that riff. I also know that we hadn't played that song in public before they went into the studio, so there's no way they stole it from us.

:confused:

File it under "stuff happens".....

• Members

things happen, when i 1st heard smells like teen spirit i thought i have heard that tune b4, it turned out i found a very old tape, yes cassette from the good ol' days when i started playing, that was one of the riffs i first played when i started learning guitar.

things happen, everything in music has been done but the whole band committing suicide in front of an audience.

• Members

well my band totally ripped off viva la vida last night when we played feliz navidad. seriously. take that, coldplay!

this is stupid, everyone just wants money. the chord progression is the same, and the first 3 notes of the riff/melody are the same. neither terribly original, probably rip off bach or something as was mentioned.

• Members

wow im actually a huge fan of that song by sebastien tellier, and obviously radiohead but i never made that connection!!

and remember the whole cat stevens vs flaming lips thing over fight test?

ehh... it happens with a lot of bands. good bands. i doubt anybody has ill intentions. except maybe satriani wanting to cash in on coldplay's current success :facepalm:

Archived