OT: Coldplay sued by Joe Satriani

fruvai

• Members

they also stole a song from another band, not sure what the band is called...the song "i want to rule the world" not sure if its the title but those lyrics come to mind...they stole that song

That's this song.

I saw that on youtube....

Dunno what it was called, the video, though.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

they also stole a song from another band, not sure what the band is called...the song "i want to rule the world" not sure if its the title but those lyrics come to mind...they stole that song

anyone know who the other band is? does their song predate Satriani's? :lol:

• Members

That's this song.

I saw that on youtube....

Dunno what it was called, the video, though.

yeah i saw it on youtube as well....they have it where they play the orginal for 10 seconds then switch to the coldplay version for 10 seconds and they keep doing that to show you that its the same...first time i saw that i was like :facepalm: ...i dont listen to coldplay, but you cant keep stealing songs...:facepalm:

• Members

eh, they sound similar, but that's not the world's most unique chord progression/melody either. Satriani's lawyers would have a very hard time proving that Coldplay intended to copy Satriani's melody, and it would be even harder to prove damages. Satriani is probably just hoping the record company pays him off (they probably will). The only thing that could make this cool is if Tom Petty then sues Satriani for stealing his song title.

(I know, I know titles aren't protected under copyright, but still...)

• Members

They can still litigate even if Coldplay didn't knowingly rip them off. If Satriana can't prove that they did it on purpose, the potential damages will likely be smaller, but if I remember my college music biz courses correctly he can still take them to court.

An exact copy of the melody is bad enough, but with the arrangement (chord progression) behind it also being the same, it does not look good for Coldplay. If they are smart maybe they will try to settle out of court.

• Members

All of this is saddening.

I hear the marked similarities in both the satch song and that chris martin thing. I think coldplay will go down in a flaming pile of money. I can see why he would want a jury trial. Get people that are not insiders, those without the jaded edge of a musician. The people that buy a lot of coldplay, and I don't mean to say musicians don't... but you know, just regular people. that's their market I think. Anyway, your joe-jury guy, I think, will also hear the melody mimic the guitar work joe set up.

I hope and pray I never do this myself. There are times I will insert something that says "hey thanks" but before I ever released an album, if I ever did, I would ask the original artist for their permission and if they wanted a cut of the profits or credit in songwriting or whatever I would consider it. Or take out the offending part.

• Members

They can still litigate even if Coldplay didn't knowingly rip them off. If Satriana can't prove that they did it on purpose, the potential damages will likely be smaller, but if I remember my college music biz courses correctly he can still take them to court.

An exact copy of the melody is bad enough, but with the arrangement (chord progression) behind it also being the same, it does not look good for Coldplay. If they are smart maybe they will try to settle out of court.

He can take them to court, true, but if you can't show that they had a motive or tried to copy him, then you're going to have a tough time getting any money. Copyright law and fair use is still pretty ill defined in terms of law statutes and precedents, and lots of songs sound similar to other songs (comparatively, the similarities between radiohead's "reckoner" and that french song are alot more suspicious). You're better off trying to sue for trademark infringement (which is significantly different than copyright infirngement), but, for that, you have to show damages, and Satriani probably couldn't do that.

• Members

That other band that tried to sue later admitted to "having a laugh" just to get their name out there didnt they?

I dont see what the problem is... so a song sounds similar, can you see Chris MArtin sat on youtube typing SATCH and buzzing off his riffs then stealing them?

• Members

He can take them to court, true, but if you can't show that they had a motive or tried to copy him, then you're going to have a tough time getting any money. Copyright law and fair use is still pretty ill defined in terms of law statutes and precedents, and lots of songs sound similar to other songs (comparatively, the similarities between radiohead's "reckoner" and that french song are alot more suspicious). You're better off trying to sue for trademark infringement (which is significantly different than copyright infirngement), but, for that, you have to show damages, and Satriani probably couldn't do that.

Trademark? For what, though? You can't really trademark sound recordings unless you're using it as some kind of audio logo, e.g. the Intel bing-boong-BONK sound.

Unless! He sues them for infringing on his SIGNATURE TOAN :idea:

Archived