Boss pedals, way to defeat auto-on when turning power on?

sahlomonic

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Hi Guys - regarding the auto-switch on of Boss pedals when connected to power, it's official, it's just how they work. I got this reply from Roland Corporation:

5 Oct 2021, 02:04 GMT-7

Hi Philip,

Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear that you are considering returning the OC-5. Please rest assured, that there is nothing wrong with your pedal, this is just how it functions.

Many of the pedals in the BOSS compact range switch on automatically when connected. I appreciate this may be a little inconvenient to your needs. I can only apologise for this.

Kind regards

Huw

Roland Customer Support

• 6 months later...
  • Members

This is in response to all those asking  "why the heck does it matter?"

It matters because if you are using a large pedal array which contains some of the boss units that "auto-on" (also some older DOD units do this too BTW), and have your series of pedals dialed in and activated/stacked how you like them, and you lose power or shut down the board, it actually is a pain in the neck to have to switch off all the pedals you weren't using for that session just to get back to your starting place.

•Imagine if every time you turned on your guitar amp, the reverb button self activated, even though you'd switched it off.

If you are a pedal person, and use a pedal array, having a bunch of pedals that self activate upon start up really is annoying. If you're using one or two pedals, I agree, not big deal. But it sucks to have to toe click a half dozen pedals before you can  jam. The Metal Zone does this too, and if you forget that its on automatically you'll get blasted sometimes.

• 2 months later...