Can someone make me a current doubler cable?

matterday

• Members

Thats not going to work no matter what kind of cable you have since all the outputs are not isolated AFAIK. The TREX is organized like a daisy chain in a box for the 9v outs so youll have to get a PPII if you want to do any cable trickery for power.

If the outputs aren't isolated then why does it have current limitations for every output as opposed to current limitations for the whole thing?

• Members

Yeah express shipping is crazy expensive.

You could ask a T-Rex dealer in the US if they could order one for you, maybe that would be cheaper. Or maybe you can find someone who has the T-Rex Juicy Lucy 12V power supply, and who don't use the current doubler cable that comes with it.

• Members

Yeah express shipping is crazy expensive.

You could ask a T-Rex dealer in the US if they could order one for you, maybe that would be cheaper. Or maybe you can find someone who has the T-Rex Juicy Lucy 12V power supply, and who don't use the current doubler cable that comes with it.

Tried it before I made the thread. No US retailers have the cable separate and none of them want to take it from the Juicy Lucy's they have in stock. The only places that seem to sell it separate are either in Europe or Australia.

• Members

Thats not going to work no matter what kind of cable you have since all the outputs are not isolated AFAIK. The TREX is organized like a daisy chain in a box for the 9v outs so youll have to get a PPII if you want to do any cable trickery for power.

That's just the big Fuel Tank. The Fuel Tank Jr has isolated outputs.

• Members

And guys look, he doesn't want something that magically doubles the current, he just wants to run two outputs in parallel so that he can use twice as much current without breaking the limitations.

Making a cable that runs two outputs in parallel does work, the voltage stays the same. It's just like running batteries in parallel.

It will work on a daisy chain too but it'll be meaningless.

• Members

OK if the outputs are isolated you only need to run them in parallel to get more current. thats an extremely simple cable to make but you probably wont be able to buy one from anywhere. You could cut up a daisy chain and use it as a y cable to make that work.

Really? I have a daisy chain cable. I'm going to shower then cut it up. Thanks for the tip.

• Members

Nitefly is correct. Take any ordinary daisy chain, and cut off (or tape up) the plugs you don't need so you're left with three male plugs. Two goes into two outputs on the Fuel Tank JR and the third plugs into the DD-20.

This will obviously not work on a Fuel Tank Classic (the blue box), as its 9vDC jacks are not isolated. But the Fuel Tank JR has isolated outputs, so you can double the current by combining them in parallel, or double the voltage by combining them in series.

/Andreas

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Let's see if this 8-year-old thread is still alive...

Per the discussion above, I'd like to use an unused OneSpot daisy chain cable as a current doubler. First option is a 5-way daisy chain (which has one female input and five male outputs), which I can cut up or tape unused connectors.

• Do I need to use all male connectors, and do I need to use them such that two "arms" connect two the two power supply outputs and the center connector goes to my pedal...or does it not matter which three go where?
  • If it doesn't matter, can I use the female end of the daisy chain? In this case, I would use the female as a place to connect my pedal and then use two "downstream" male connectors to connect to the power supply.

It sounds like these daisy chains are parallel...I'm just not sure what that means as far as right/wrong ways to use the available plugs. Thanks. I can sketch a picture if that's easier.

Short answer? You can't do it just by rewiring a daisy chain cable - well, you CAN, but you'd need to feed that adapter cable with two separate power supplies (or a single brick-style power supply with separate isolated outputs) to double the current but keep the same voltage. Yes, the wiring is done in parallel. Wiring an adapter like this in series would double the voltage, which it sounds like you don't want / need. 

Yes, it matters which wires go where - most pedals are wired center-negative, so the center pin is negative, the outer sleeve on the plug is positive. But that's not true for ALL pedals and power supplies, so you need to check and make sure you know how your pedal and power supplies are wired before proceeding. The pedal, and power supplies need to be designed to work together, using the same polarity and voltage. Also, avoid using AC adapters if your pedal is designed for DC, and vise-versa!  

Assuming you're dealing with a standard 9V DC center-negative pedal and have a pair of standard 9V DC center-negative power supplies, you can do the following:

If you have two 9V center-negative adapters with plugs on the ends, you can make a parallel-wired Y cable with a pair of female jacks at the dual ends of the Y (the "top") and a single plug at the "bottom" end of the Y. Plug the two power supplies into the jack ends, and connect the plug end of the Y into your pedal. Or you could avoid the soldering and just buy one of these instead and use it to connect your two power supplies to your pedal. 

If you're going to try to DIY, the center connectors of both jacks need to connect to the center connector of the plug at the other end of the Y, and the outer sleeves of both jacks need to be wired to the outer sleeve of the plug. I'd recommend using a continuity checker / DMM to double-check your wiring before trying to plug the adapter in, just to be safe. You don't want to risk damaging your pedal!

If you have a "brick" style power supply that has multiple isolated output jacks, you can use a pair of 5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs at the "top" end of the Y, and a single 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug at the other ('bottom") end of the Y. Plug the two top ends of the Y into separate isolated output jacks on your power supply brick (if they're not isolated, you won't get any increase in current!) and the other end into your pedal. Or you could save yourself the soldering and just get one of these and use it (along with a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm male to male cable) to connect the two isolated outputs from your brick-style power supply to your pedal. 

Again, for a DIY adapter, the sleeves at the top of the Y connect to the sleeve at the bottom end, and the center / tips at the top both connect to the tip at the bottom end of the Y. It's just standard parallel wiring, regardless of whether there are jacks or plugs at the top / bottom end of the Y.

Hope this helps, and if any of this isn't clear, please let me know.

PS Welcome to Harmony Central! :wave:

• Members

Thanks, Phil.

Yes, I'm dealing with all center negative stuff. I'm using an isolated brick, specifically: https://truetone.com/cs6/

I already use outputs 1 and 2 for two Strymon pedals, which require high mA. I'm looking to use outputs 5&6 in combination to power a third Strymon pedal. They should give me 9V, 400mA when combined.

Certainly I can purchase a current doubler for $7, but was just trying to use cables I already have. These are my options:

Ideally I can use the first one. If it's wired in parallel, even though it's not a "Y" shape, it seems like I should be able to use the male ends in the power supply and the female end to connect standard cable to my pedal.

Make sense?

3 hours ago, brianmbremer said:

Thanks, Phil.

Yes, I'm dealing with all center negative stuff. I'm using an isolated brick, specifically: https://truetone.com/cs6/

I already use outputs 1 and 2 for two Strymon pedals, which require high mA. I'm looking to use outputs 5&6 in combination to power a third Strymon pedal. They should give me 9V, 400mA when combined.

Certainly I can purchase a current doubler for $7, but was just trying to use cables I already have. These are my options:

Ideally I can use the first one. If it's wired in parallel, even though it's not a "Y" shape, it seems like I should be able to use the male ends in the power supply and the female end to connect standard cable to my pedal.

Make sense?

Makes perfect sense - you should be able to use the MC2 as-is. Just plug both male ends into outputs 5 and 6 on your 1 Spot Pro CS6, then use a standard power cable to connect the female end of your MC2 into your Strymon. 

No soldering or modifications necessary - but you will need an additional male to male power cable (like the 1 Spot DC12, DC18, or DC22) along with the MC2. However, if you don't have one of those, you could use the Multi-Plug 5 cable instead. Just plug one of the male plugs of that into the female jack on the MC2, and another one of the male plugs on the Multi-Plug 5 cable into the Strymon. It would be kind of a waste of that 5 plug daisy chain cable, but it should work just fine. 

Again, please let me know how it works out for you, and if you have any problems or questions. 

Archived