Weighted keys Vs graded hammer

blackpig

• Members

Can anybody here recommend a good but cheap stage piano? It's for the wife's cousin. He requires that it has weighted keys - I assume that this means more expensive than the "graded hammer action" I see on some keyboards. As I am a piano ignoramus I would greatly appreciate some advice. He's looking for one for around

• Members

Hi -

Actually, "graded hammer action" and "weighted keys" mean different things - but sometimes they're same. huh?

Graded hammer action keys are designed to play and feel like the keys on an acoustic piano - where the bass keys are a tad heavier - but the highest keys are a bit lighter to the touch.

Weighted keys could mean "graded hammer action keys" - but sometimes means the hammer action is balanced - it feels like an acoustic piano, but has the same weight, bottom to top.

Complicating this a little -- there are a few "synth weighted" keyboards that have the light, springy touch you associate with an electronic keyboard, but have a somewhat heavier touch towards the bottom, and lighter towards the top.

It's best that your wife's cousin actually play a bunch of keyboards to see what he likes. Even among "graded hammer action" keyboards, there's a wide range.

In general, "stage pianos" with weighted keys also have graded action... like Yamaha's CP-33, CP-300... Kawai's MP5 and MP8... and others.

Synth/workstation keyboards that have weighted keys are more likely to have balanced action -- like the Yamaha Motif8 series, Roland Fantom X series, Korg Triton, Kurzweil K-2600X (and the new PC3).

Check out the manufacturers' websites and read carefully.

True acoustic purists generally like the graded keyboard action. But again, they're all a little different - and the feel of a keyboard, along with the actual piano sound it produces, are the two biggest factors that go into the decision to buy which product. And people feel very strongly about both factors.

• Members

Casio digital pianos have great action. I picked up one of those Casio/Radio Shack specials a couple of years ago for $300 and the action rivals, and even surpasses keyboards I have that cost 5-10 times as much! However, in the sound department, not so much.....

Archived