splitting expression pedal signal

brady_cress

• Members

Could someone enlighten me on the basics of using one expression pedal to control multiple effect pedals?

1. Is there already a thread covering this? If so, please direct me.

2. Is it possible?

3. I have read that certain expression pedals won't work on certain effect pedals. Is there a model of expression pedal that works on most common effect pedals (specifically on both a boss ps-3 and a line 6 dl4)?

4. How would this be accomplished? Use an A/B/Y switch to split the signal from the expression pedal to the dl4 and ps-3?

5. If splitting is the best option, is any modification to the expression pedal required? I seem to remember reading in the line 6 ex-1 FAQ something about halving/doubling the pot on the expression pedal (from 5k to 10k...or 10k to 5k?) when controlling two units. Would modding the expression pedal's pot require that two units (no more/no less) are hooked up at all times to ensure proper signal is being provided?

Forgive me if it's as simple as splitting signal with an A/B switch, but I was under the impression that it was more in depth...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Members

Could someone enlighten me on the basics of using one expression pedal to control multiple effect pedals?

1. Is there already a thread covering this? If so, please direct me.

2. Is it possible?

3. I have read that certain expression pedals won't work on certain effect pedals. Is there a model of expression pedal that works on most common effect pedals (specifically on both a boss ps-3 and a line 6 dl4)?

4. How would this be accomplished? Use an A/B/Y switch to split the signal from the expression pedal to the dl4 and ps-3?

5. If splitting is the best option, is any modification to the expression pedal required? I seem to remember reading in the line 6 ex-1 FAQ something about halving/doubling the pot on the expression pedal (from 5k to 10k...or 10k to 5k?) when controlling two units. Would modding the expression pedal's pot require that two units (no more/no less) are hooked up at all times to ensure proper signal is being provided?

Forgive me if it's as simple as splitting signal with an A/B switch, but I was under the impression that it was more in depth...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Well each pedal wants a certain max resistance, and if you've got two pedals looking, you probably either 1) need a bigger resistance or 2) need two pots on the same rocking footpedal. Personally I think having two pedals using the same expression pedal would annoy me, what if you wanted one down and one up? Why not two small ones next to eachother that you could manipulate both at once if you wanted?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • Members
Could someone enlighten me on the basics of using one expression pedal to control multiple effect pedals?<2. Is it possible 4. How would this be accomplished? Use an A/B/Y switch to split the signal

If splitting is the best option, is any modification to the expression pedal required? I seem to remember reading in the line 6 ex-1 FAQ something about halving/doubling the pot on the expression pedal (from 5k to 10k...or 10k to 5k?) when controlling two units.

If the pedal has one pot you cannot use it for more then one device at a time.

When the pedal is connected to a device its connected into that circuit taking the place of one of its controls. The resistance provides either and analog or binary change and it has a voltage/current across it.

If you were to Y jack it, you'd be short circuiting the voltage of one unit to another. I cant tell you exactly how much damage that would do without looking at the schematics, but I can tell you as an electronic tech it would be a stupid thing to try and I highly advise against it.

If the expression pedals use TRS cable a regular A/B box is useless too. They use mono TS jacks and switches not TRS. You could build a TRS switcher but the idea hot switching a pedal from one device to another when those connections are made to highly to sensitive areas in the circuitry isn't advisable in my book either.

As far as changing a pot value, I could possibly fathom it controlling two Line 6 units only because they might use the same circuits. Again, I'd have to see the circuit in order to give any kind of recommendation and I surely wouldn't recommend a connection to two different devices because different circuits use different voltages. There's nothing that would stop the voltage from one device feeding over to the other and damaging it. The results can be anything from weird oscillations to blown circuits.

My best advice would be to simply buy another expression pedal and abandon the idea of making one pedal do it all. You can as some others posted buy a pedal that has dual pots inside or has the proper switching designed to safely switch from one to another. Don't try to get one pot to connect to two devices however. If a single pot could do that job - don't you thing manufacturers would be promoting that as an option?

EBay is littered with corpses of damaged gear and most of that damage comes from people doing stupid things to their gear. This idea is a huge fail and should be avoided big time. If you were a DIY type I'd say but a stereo volume pedal and convert it but given the kinds of questions being asked tell me you'd be better off buying separate pedals.

Archived