sd-1 vs. bd-2...and why?

ode2no1

• Members

this might be a dumb thread but i'm looking to get one of the two so that i can mod it and use it at home with my champ 12 along with my modded ds-1. i have very limited experience with the bd-2 (like 9 years ago) and none with the sd-1. for my main set up i use a red snapper for overdrive...so i'm kind of looking for something that can sound natural and transparent but is also capable of being a bit darker...more on the marshall side. keep in mind i'm going to mod the pedal as soon as i get it so which would lend itself easier to my being able to achieve this? i've also been considering the mxr distortion III.

• Members

okay, if you want to use the bd-2 for a mild gain, dont do it, it really does have a crappy nasty decay to the gain, but if you are going to use it for a clean boost or all out gain, i say go for it. I normally use my amps distortion but tuesday i used the bd-2 with the gain maxed, and it actually got pretty heavy sounding, it suprized me, and i have had it for a while now. with that said i am getting a sd-1, so i cant comment on it quite yet.

• Members

sd-1 has a lot of mods and it more midsrangy so a bit more marshally

bd-2 also has a lot of mods it a but bassy and scooped but stransparent more fender

mxr distortion its nice its like a sd-1 with a bit less mid hump, more bass more gain, more volume, also can get cleaner than the sd-1 its crunchy and dirty enough for distortion , sometimes i when i play at home i fell like modding it but when i play live i realize it perfect to bad i need money

• Members

I bought a SD-1 when GC was out of BD-2's and ended up returning it for a BD-2. Stock SD-1 was lackluster and thin IMO. Stock BD-2 has a lot more character and seems to have a fatter tone as well as more gain on tap.

• Members

I have a nice SD1 with a Franklin mod - sounds nice... usually for a mild overdrive, I just wish it had a little warmer sound. I tried the BD-2, and liked it too; seemed to have just a touch more bottom end to it - but it was too close to the sound I get with the SD1 to justify buying one.

For warm overdrive I use a stock Bad Monkey by Digitech. Sounds awesome, esp for mild to moderate overdrive, and it has "low" and "high" knobs instead of the ole ubiquitous "tone" knob. So I can dial in the thicker/darker sounds. Very versatile.

• Members

for a while i was using a stock SD1 as my only OD. then i found out about Keeley and bought both modded SD1 & BD2. SD1 is more of an OD pedal... BD2 is more of an overdriven Fender amp.

i liked both of them! the SD1 serves as a good lead boost, and the BD2 is a great phat sounding drive circuit. back when my only amp was a 100w JMP, these two pedals did a fantastic job as my distortion channel.

Really the only thing that made me sell my RK modded SD1 was my rationale to switch it up! At first, the BD2 took some getting used to cuz the SD1 was much smoother, and i wasnt used to the raspy Fender voicing. I miss having that SD1 tho, there is a big difference to my ears between the 5 Star mod and the stock. I dont really need it these days (GT500 does smooth overdrive/boost like a dream), but once RK gets his feet back on the ground I'm gonna send one over to get modded.

• Members

I'd go for the SD-1. I think it's a great overdrive pedal and it's cheap too so, like has already been said, you can mod it yourself if you are so inclined.

All these guys talking about Robert Keeley mods - I personally don't think that they're worth the money. It's all hype and people are told that they sound better so they tend to assume the difference is better. Boss pedals work great stock.

• Members

I've made demos of both, check them out:

D-_OQmZsWm8

CziED7dILbw

The SD-1 is cheaper, and sounds great but has the tubescreamery midemphasis you may like or dislike

The BD-2 is more expensive but has a flatter response, but that nasty splatty decay. It's very fuzzy when the gain is maxed.

Both pedals have pretty bright tone controls, the BD-2 moreso, it's very shrill above 9-10 o clock.

• Members

damn i did not expect this many responses. thanks for the opinions guys. and a million thanks for that video. i'm at work so i can't watch it for a few hours, but its pretty much gonna be the first thing i do when i get home. i forgot that i'd heard terrible things about the decay of the bd-2, and since i do want something for mild-medium overdrive it might not be the one....although i don't want a mid hump like the sd-1 apparently has. eh...i guess that would be an easy fix when i mod it. i don't know. it's funny...i haven't bought a pedal in a couple of years (wow...i actually just realized it had been so long) because my rig has been pretty consistent, so now even this little overdrive decision is like a gigantic thing and i don't want to get the wrong one.

• Members

good god...the bd-2 has waaay more gain than i imagined. yeah i think i'm gonna go for the sd-1 though based on those stock clips. mike did you ever make demos of the pedals after you modded them?

Indeed here's the H20 modded Blues Driver:

d5aZ6K8drm8

And here's the SD-1 I recently modded:

N1Uz0TAKGt8

Archived