what would you use?

jorhay1

• Members

I use a JMP-1 for recording straight into my computer.

Do you use any kind of speaker emulation? A few years ago I ordered the Mesa Recto Recording Preamp and it was a huge letdown. It was a little better after running it through the POD (used only for speaker sim) but still failed to deliver the goods.

• Members

I've always used my POD 2.0... I didn't see the point in the newer (more expensive) ones. Initially I thought that having the mic placement tool on it was neat, but in the end let's be honest, how many of us are going to tweak the mic placement on the models? really? If you want it brighter, EQ the sucker... the essentially all the unit is doing...

Now the one thing I do wish the 2.0 had was a USB port, but it's still a good product for recording. I've tried amplitube, and while it was pretty cool, I like the hand-tweaking that comes with an actual external unit. Although, to each his own.

I also like the 2.0 for live use at my church.. it's great for that... although the girl singers in the band have come to know it as the "baboon butt"...

Other things I'd try: Tech 21 Character Series, Vox Tonelab (the desktop/discontinued version), and the POD Farm stuff... and of course there's always AxeFX... if you have the $$$ to spend on it...

Archived