Toadworks Mr Ed Distortion

goth70

• Members

I got this pedal as a gift from a well-meaning relative. I have been playing with the pedal off and on for about a year. I'm not interested in the Van Halen sound at all but thought I might find other uses for it.

Personally I'm kinda fed up with it. I don't think it reacts to dynamics very well at all. I find harmonics hard to pull out of it. At higher settings it sounds to me like a brash buzzsaw and at lower settings it has a strange fizzing quality at the top end.

If any of you have had good experiences with the pedal could you tell me how you set it up to get a good sound. I don't care what style you play or how you use it I just would like some ideas. I tried to sell it and I got no responses so I'm looking for any kind of use for it.

• Members

I think it has a low impedance input.... it likes to see guitar pickups at the input... if you have other pedals in front of it, they may be affecting the sound.

I have one, and I actually like it quite a bit. I used it quite a bit for a few things i recorded a while back. It does have a very particular sound, which isn't one I'm after very often, but i find that it does what it does really well.

• Members

Nope, I never had anything in front of it. I usually don't use it with other effects since when I'm working with it I try to keep it isolated to try to dial something in. I use it with the clean channel of my Orange or Traynor combo.

• Members

Sorry it didn't work out for you. My feeling is that it likes EL34 amps best, and it likes them breaking up. it also likes hotter guitar pickups.

Just sell it. We've always sold tons of them, so someone will want it. And since we've discontinued Mr. Ed, so if you hold onto it for another year, you can claim it's a collector's item :)

Archived